Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignert Question.

Bubber

Just a question for the IDPA guys. While reloading a revolver do you have to keep the speed loader after you have used it or can it go to the ground?

The simple answer is that it goes to the ground.

There are issues if you have a bad reload and rounds get hung up in your speed loader and you drop the loader and live rounds on the ground. The finer points of IDPA rules discussion says that you cannot leave live rounds behind and in this case an RO might ding you. There's another place in the rule book that says you can leave live rounds in the case of a malfunction. Whether or not the RO dings you depends on the RO, their interpretation of the rules, and the match.

Just drop the speed loader and argue leaving live rounds after the stage is over. Most RO's are more lenient to revo shooters because they feel the rules are slanted towards auto shooters. That's until you smoke 'em enough times w/ the round gun.

I would think the penalty would be accesed by the RO if an advatage was gained by dropping rounds on the ground. This might not be spelled out in the rule book, however I do remember being in Michigan shooting a match with my 686 and having the rounds come out of the speed loader, some in the cylinder, some on the ground. I preceded to pick the couple up that went to the ground and loaded them and went on with the stage. The RO didn't say anything to me, since there was no infractions. Just don't drop any live rounds and you'll be good. I had my one bobble and I'm hoping it wont happen for many years. A guy can hope can't he? :wacko:

On a normal speed load the loader can be dropped on the ground.

If I bobble a reload badly I plan to dump everything on the ground and go for another speedloader. I will then argue that it was a malfunction drill. After all, on the street you would want to get the gun reloaded as quickly as possible wouldn't you? B) A procedural is only 3 seconds. It will take you longer than that to gather up loose rounds. Saying that doesn't make me a gamer does it? :D

Bill Nesbitt