Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Ejector Wire was touching index sprocket

OK, I've been loading on my 550b for two years and from the beginning I noticed that the index sprocket didn't turn so smooth, it seemed to drag at one point, but I could never see what was wrong. Tried lubing different points. etc.

Anyway finally dedicated enough time to study it and I found that one point of the star shaped index sprocket drooped a hair more than the other points, and this lower point would scape the ejector wire at each revolution. The point of contact with the ejector wire was at the point where one end of the wire is inserted into the frame. I don't know much about the ejector wire, nor how it is supposed to be positioned or if it should be moved, but a light tap on the wire in the right place seems to have set everything right. Has anyone adjusted the ejector wire position?

The wire sits in the two holes in the press with no method to secure or adjust it. It just sits in there. You could probably lift and pull it out to adjust (bend) it if you wanted to, but more than likely the offending point of the indexing-wheel just needs to be bent slightly back upwards. It's aluminum so be gentle with it, and you should be good to go.

Same thing happened to my 550B. Seems over time the wire walked up. Easily tapped backed into position, as stated in the previous post they are held in by the tension of the spring. Yes they can be just pulled out, but mine had a fair amount of distance between the 2 legs when I did. Don't think adding any more would help. This happened several thousand rounds ago and hasn't seemed to repeat. I just watch mine for now. Curious if others had the same issue or a different means of repair.