Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Revolver Standard Division

Vince Pinto

Hi guys,

I could be wrong, but I believe you'll find the demand for Revolver Open is not as great as the 4 supporters screaming from the rooftops would have you think. It's one thing for one particular region with one particular set of circumctances (e.g. Australia) to think they have a need to be filled but, globally, I think we're talking even fewer competitors than we have now in Revolver Standard.

As I've stated many times, ICORE is dedicated exclusively to revolvers but, after over 10 years in existence, they only have "many hundred active members worldwide" according to their website, and the only affiliates outside the USA are a handful of clubs in Australia - and there are only a few active clubs within the whole USA.

Anyway, they'll be conducting an experiment at the 2004 Australian Nationals over Easter, so let's see exactly how many people shoot "Revolver Open" there before we draw any conclusions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spook,

Radagast is from Down Under (aka Oz and formally called Australia) and has little bearings with USPSA (if I am correct).

Radagast,

even with six-round arrays IPSC Revolver is quite a different game than Open, Standard, Modified or Production (in random order ;) ) You cannot afford to drop one single shot or you will be punished by another static reload which probably will effect the reloading sequence memorized for that particular stage. This is the main reason why wheelgunners are (generally speaking) the most proficient marksmen in IPSC, they have to make every shot count and cannot hose down a stage picking up a few stray shots. And let's not forget doing this DAO!

The most fun stages for a wheelgunner (IMHO) contain small arrays where targets can be engaged from multiple positions, mixed with single targets in between so reloads can be done while moving (even if that is only 1-2 meters). YMMV

Yoda,

You cannot afford to drop one single shot or you will be punished by another static reload which probably will effect the reloading sequence memorized for that particular stage.

This is precisely why +6 round revolvers still have a slight advantage in Revolver Standard Division. If you have a faulty round, you can pull the trigger again without having to reload - you're only limited to 6 rounds fired not 6 trigger pulls.

Spook, no insult taken. :)

Yoda, correct, we shoot IPSC rules down here, but 'most' stages are designed around 8 shot target arrays. Vince used to be an Aussie, but as we have no respect for persons in authority down here, we have had to disown him :P

I like your point about small arrays with multiple engagement points. The last match we had was six shot neutral, three targets through each port, two paces apart, no other way of engaging other than through the ports. Not fun. I'll see if I can lay out a stage along the lines you suggest.

Vince, good point, I hadn't thought of that. It was painful watching guys dumping a cylinderful so they could get one shot off, then having to do it again because their round count was out.

Ken, who shouldn't throw stones in glass houses. (secretary of this that and the other)

Yoda,
You cannot afford to drop one single shot or you will be punished by another static reload which probably will effect the reloading sequence memorized for that particular stage.

This is precisely why +6 round revolvers still have a slight advantage in Revolver Standard Division. If you have a faulty round, you can pull the trigger again without having to reload - you're only limited to 6 rounds fired not 6 trigger pulls.

Vince,

it must be my lousy command of English that you misunderstood me. B) I'm just a furriner ya'know! Let me try to explain what I meant to say.

I was referring to dropping shots as stray shots (marginal D hits or even Mikes), not to ammo malfunctions. With revolver misfires are pretty rare ... If you turn back your mainspring too much to lighten the trigger pull it might not ignite the primer. All Revolver top dogs I know use Federal primers exclusively, the lightest and most reliable primer in the universe!

I agree - with a misfire an 8-shooter has a slight advantage over a 6-shooter, but it doesn't happen frequently. OTOH Mikes do occur on a regular basis which has much more influence on a match result. This cannot be solved by shooting a 8-shooter.