Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Scope Will You Use In The New Tactical Class?

bthp

Hey cool...I was just about to post the same question but I wasn't gonna post pics too! Thanks Eric! You da man!

The double diamond may just be the best thing since the bass o'matic, especially the illuminated version but I think I need to see one in real life before I buy.

I am concerned about the parallax being adjusted for 50 yards on Turkey models. What happens at 200 or 300? Is parallax outta control or am I just worrying about nothing.

Also, where you guys finding these for <$100?

Does Simmons market scopes from a variety of manufacturers (as did Tasco)?

I see the raving about the 1.5-5X pro diamond, so it must be a decent piece of kit.

The thing is, almost all of the low end Simmons scopes I've seen, heard about, etc. have been less than impressive and not suitable for either league play or defensive use. They seem to break very easily and the quality of the optics just isn't there.

Just to add a bit of detail to Kelly's explanation on the CQB reticle. I have done range work with my AR out to 400 yards and my different hand loads. I then determine the holdover for each load using the mil hash marks and keep that data in my data log.

During a match, you can then use either the inside / outside of the horseshoe or the ranging circles to determine distance of your target (if UD), take a look at your load data and then use one of the mil marks as your holdover. It is rare that I need to use the mil marks in competition, but nice that I could put them to use.

I agree that there is a bit of extra "stuff" in the reticle, particularly the 500 and 600 ranging circles (unless you shoot MGM) and the mil marks over 10, maybe even 5. But, the mil lines are a holdover from the MP8 reticle Valdada sells in their longer distance tactical scopes.

I am finding as I get used to the reticle, I am relying more and more on the horseshoe to frame the target for the quick shot and less on the dot. After talking to one of the original designers of the reticle, the local dealer here and the Valdada importer, that was the intent of the design.

They should have done away with mils and put in a bullet drop compensator calibrated to .223 55 or 75 grain bullets. I don't use the 1 MOA dot on short stuff either, relying on the horseshoe. Sometimes I'm aware of it but I don't focus on it until the shots require more precision.

One comment about the shotgun scopes that are being put on rifles. They're ok but the parallax is often adjusted to shorter ranges. Usually not a problem but not quite right for a rifle scope.

Kelly,

I'm really diggin' JP's reticle for the ACOG and will probably change my current set up to it. Right now, I have the Sightron 2.5-7 x 32mm double diamond reticle. While it's a great scope and ultra clear glass (it's definitely turned me into a Sightron fan), the field of view is too narrow for the type of shooting that we do.

Parallex and re-zero wasn't a problem at all, so it's a bit disappointing that it and I weren't kosher.

Quick question (and is probably why I started this post bugging you), I want to clarify the width of the marks on JP's reticle. It's the hold for a 10 mph wind at that yardage correct?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Eric W

The Simmons scope I have is a shot gun scope. Whitetail Classic Model #WTC11 1.5-5 x 20mm WA. The shotgun scope dosent have the ProDiamond retical. I'm not sure I would care too much for that retical myself. The retical on the shotgun scope is a std dulpex or heavy duplex (the cross hairs where they cross are more narrow than the rest). I havent noticed the 50 yrd parallax issue but i'm not a great rifle shot either. I wish I could blame my poor marksmanship on the scope but I think its the retical behind the gun thats to blame. Sorry, that was bad!

Rhino

I bought this scope to just shoot untill i had the money for a Leopold scope. I too had heard of low quality from Simmions. I shighted it in and shot a match or two. All is well.

I went to the range to check zero after a few months lull. Fired some groups @ 50 and 100 yards and cleared the gun to go down range to put up new targets. Half way to the 50 yard target I heard a metalic noise behind me, I turn and the gun had fallen off the sand bags and the table to the concret floor of the firing line. Note to self NEVER LEAVE YOUR GUN ON THE SAND BAGS. The scope only suffered paint scratchs. Yes its painted but ....Checked zero again didnt move a bit. Good enough for me.

I'm actually thinking about buying another one as back up. Even if I buy two I wont spend as much as one 1-4x Lepold.

I bought mine from SWF ? rifle scopes out of Texas.

Yes, the JP reticle is designed with a 10 mph crosswind in mind. So if you're shooting at a plate at 300 yards with a 10 mph right crosswind, you'd go to the 300 crosswire and hold at the end of the left horizontal crosswire and listen to that steel sing.

The parallax issue is not that big a deal for 3 gunning. It's not like we're trying to put a 10 shot group in a 3 inch X ring at 300. But it's one reason I steer clear of shotgun scopes on a rifle. That being said, Derrick Martin told me that ACOG TA01s were famous for parallax in the international military rifle competitions that he competes in. But I've fired plenty of good groups at 300 with my TA11.