Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading PMC .223

saibot

Hi experts! I've been working up a load with MT 55 bullets and about 25 grains of A2230 which is shooting very well with my once fired LC brass. I have quite a bit of PMC .223 brass that I was wondering if I can use as well. Will it work with the same charge or will the pressure be too high?

Thanks!

Hi experts! I've been working up a load with MT 55 bullets and about 25 grains of A2230 which is shooting very well with my once fired LC brass. I have quite a bit of PMC .223 brass that I was wondering if I can use as well. Will it work with the same charge or will the pressure be too high?

Thanks!

acurrent accurate arms data lists 25 gr of 2230 as max load for a 55 gr nosler ballistic tip. keen to hear what others will say, for an unexpert opinion :blush: my $.02 would be to try 10% down from that in your pmc brass and work up to look for pressure signs. i wouldn't start out with 25 gr as my first loading.

-jared

From what little I know, that seems pretty much at the upper limit. What kind of velocity are you getting with that load?

From what little I know, that seems pretty much at the upper limit. What kind of velocity are you getting with that load?

GrahamSmith-

I'm still working out the exact charge on the LC brass. I've been working up in small steps and see no signs of pressure up to 24.5. I haven't worked up any past that yet since I was waiting on my swagger to arrive (reaming wasn't working out for me), but now it's here and I was going to continue to work up to the max load and see which worked out best. I haven't chrono'd anything yet. Once I have a few through at the higher end and see no pressure issues I'll work up a small batch of the favorites and chrono those. So far it's been a great combination from 23.5 to 24.5. I'm shocked at how much better they are than factory!

Is .223 brass inherently weaker than 5.56 brass? Does it even matter?

Thanks again for the help!

Thicker brass (Lake City) leads to higher pressure from the same charge because of reduced case capacity. So, in theory the PMC brass w/ the same charge should yield lower pressure than the LC.

As always, reduced 10% and work back up. ;)