Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting a Hornady Lock and Load

I was hoping that I could get some input from members who frequent this thread about purchasing a lock and load.

This is what I shoot and plan to shoot over the next few years and I was trying to decide between the Dillon 650 and 1050.

After posting this in another thread, ARFCOM, and reviewing comments on Cabelas and Midway (only one really negative comment and it was regarding customer service with about 100 reviews!-which is the best I've ever seen reviewing any product!), I think that the Lock and Load may be a better option for me.

I read the FAQs which are outstanding and I'm just looking for some more input before I make the purchase.

Pistol: I shoot a 9 mm for 3 Gun and I can get ammo for pretty reasonable prices, it might not make sense for me to reload since I only shoot about 1,000 rd/year, but I could reload this. I have a Brazos Pro Sx (38 Super) that I don't shoot much and I may shoot this more in the future and I would reload this (500 rounds/year). I also shoot 357 mag and 40 for recreation and I may end up getting a limited 40 built and I would reload this (500 rounds/year). Other pistol calibers that I may purchase in the future and shoot a little (recreation, hunting, non-competitive) would be 460, 500, 454, and 357 sig.

Rifle: Most of what I shoot is 223 and since ammo is coming down in price again, I don't know if it would be worth the headache to reload (1,000 rds/year). However, I am planning to shoot a lot of 6.8 in the future and this is what is making me think about reloading (1,000 rds/yr). I will also want to reload .308 (500 rds/yr) that I will practice and shoot for 3 Gun. Other rifle calibers that may just be easier to purchase since I will not shoot in large volume are 458 SOCOM (300 rds/yr), 300 RUM, 450 Marlin, and possibly 338 lapuaa or Weatherby 338-378 (all of the latter 20-100 rds/yr).

Thanks in advance for your input. I also watched the Hornaday videos on youtube regarding set up and it all seems very straight forward. I also think the bushing change would be very helpful for swithing calibers, since I would probably reload 2-4 different types of ammo everytime that I sit down at the press.

Edited by DMAC

DMAC, I don't mean to throw cold water on your plans, but I do have some suggestions.

First of all, I have a Dillon 1050. That is a great press, and nothing else on the market compares with it. However, it has two characteristics that you might want to consider carefully. Caliber conversions are fairly expensive. I have nine caliber conversions for my 1050, so I know how that goes. Next, the caliber change over on the 1050 is quite time consuming. I have a fair amount of experience in doing that, and it is still slow. Sure, some of the people on this forum will do it a lot faster than I do, but I always clean the press while I have the shellplate off. I am not in any hurry, so it takes me quite a bit of time.

Your list of calibers and quantities that you load and plan to load does not sound to me like 1050 territory. I believe you would spend more time changing calibers than actually reloading. The 1050 is suited to fairly large quantities of one caliber, then change to another caliber.

For your (relatively) short reloading runs, I think either a Dillon 650 or a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP would suit you better than a 1050. When you get up to runs of several thousand cartridges between caliber changes is the time to consider a 1050. Not just consider it -- that is the time to buy a 1050.

I have loaded on a Dillon 650, and I now have a LNL AP. Either of those presses will suit your reloading needs. The main differences are in the cost of acquisition, and the cost of caliber changovers.

The Dillon sells for $544.95. That includes a caliber conversion, but not dies. So, about $565 to $585 should have you up and running, as far as the press goes (after adding dies).

The Hornady, LNL AP sells for about $400 from the Internet sellers. For example, right now, Natchez Shooters Supply is advertising the press for $399.99. Hornady has renewed its "Free Bullets" promotion for all of 2010, so you can get "$300 worth of bullets" free with the press (you have to pay shipping). That $300 (list price) worth of bullets would actually sell for about $200 at Natchez or a similar site. Deducting that $200 actual worth of bullets from the price you pay for the press leaves a net cost for the press of about $200. The press does not come with a shell plate, which sells separately for about $30.00. Then, adding a set of dies, you can get a LNL AP up and running for about $272 to $292 after adding dies. That includes $400 for the press, minus $200 worth of bullets, $22 for the shipping cost of the bullets, $30 for a shell plate, and the same $20 to $40 dies that I allowed for the Dillon 650.

I haven't considered the cost of shipping either of the two presses to you. I will leave that to you to add in.

As you can see, the Hornady is substantially less expensive. In actual use, the two presses are very similar. There are lots of differences in the two, but they both do the same things at about the same speed and quality of result (very high).

In terms of caliber conversions, the Hornady press is also substantially less expensive. Caliber conversions for the 650 cost about $75.95, and the same thing on the LNL requires only a shell plate for about $30.00. Given the large number of calibers that you plan to reload, that should be a major consideration.

Case feeders are one place where Dillon certainly has an advantage. Their case feeder sells for about $212.95. The Hornady case feeder costs $313.46. In addition, the Dillon case feeder seems to be of much better quality than the Hornady. (I have both case feeders, so that is a fairly objective assessment.) My Dillon case feeders have all worked flawlessly right out of the box, and the Hornady case feeder has required some tuning and repairs. It now works reliably, but it wasn't always so.

Hornady makes that case feeder price difference back up on caliber conversion cost. Dillon charges $75.95 for each caliber conversion, and the Hornady requires only that shell plate for about $30.00. All of the other required parts for the change over are included with the press or with the case feeder, except case feeder shell plates which you will need for either brand of case feeder.

Caliber change over on the Hornady is fast and simple. The Dillon 650 is not bad, but the Hornady is just a little bit better on that.

One sentence in your question convinces me that you don't need a 1050, and also that the Hornady LNL would be better suited to your current needs:

since I would probably reload 2-4 different types of ammo everytime that I sit down at the press.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out for you.

Jim M.

Thanks Jim M.

Hopefully I will find a LNL, all shell plates, dies, etc as well as the actual reloading supplies that I need to get started within the next month!

I really appreciate your informed an honest opinion.

We could use more politicians with these traits!

Damien

Thanks Jim M.

Hopefully I will find a LNL, all shell plates, dies, etc as well as the actual reloading supplies that I need to get started within the next month!

I really appreciate your informed an honest opinion.

We could use more politicians with these traits!

Damien

So you don't reload at all right now and you only need 500+ rounds a year in most calibers. Get a Lee Classic Turret. Caliber conversion are $10. It will load 150rds a hour and have 15 second caliber conversion times. Later get a LnL/650/1050 for the one caliber (or two) you reload the most. You can get you set up with a Lee Classic Turret and all the fixins for about $300. Thats with a Dillon scale and some other things you need. Lee Classic Turret is a fine press. It's much, much nicer then the older style Turret Lee has sold for years.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I have both Dillon XL650 and Hornady LNL. The LNL is better suited to your purpose. With your volume you don't need a case feeder. The Hornady only needs a shell plate for caliber conversions saves you a bunch of money on each. Its easier to switch calibers and the powder measure is better and for rifle that is essential.

You will want to get a Simple single stage press for prepping the rifle brass once prepped just load it on the Hornady, you can do the prep on the Hornady I do it on a single so I don't tie it up while I prep case, as I do them in batches of at least a 1000.

Natchez Shooting supplies has the Hornady on Sale. I got mine at MidSouth a couple years ago.

I have a LNL AP and love it. Had a Dillon 550 in the past and it was a great press too. Each have their pros and cons. Read this Link for a good comparison.

WOW. A very well written and unbiased article. Now if I could just understand everything that he was talking about. Thanks for the link!!

DMAC

When I bought my LNL AP, I found a free shipping offer from Cabelas - so for $399 shipped it was a very good deal. Right now they have an offer for $20 off if you spend at least $100, but you must be set up on their mailing list. This offer is good thru Jan 11. Just go to Cabelas and register. This will cover most of the shipping cost.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I think I'm going to try several different types of 308 and 6.8 factory ammo and see what the rifles like. Once I determine this, I will pick up about 1000 rounds of each to get me going and then I'll have some brass to get started.