Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 PF Load For 175 PF Comp

Paul Burtchell

Paul - That G-Mann is pretty sharp, radius firing pin takes a lot of that straight back out of it, and try a 10# recoil and if that makes it better try a 9#. For me the heavier recoil spring seems to add more muzzle rise. The straigt back snap of the open gun takes some getting use to, its like getting hit in the palm with a baseball bat. That is why I enjoy Limited and SS so much, its those sweet pulses those guns give off.

Let me also mention that shooting open requires a lot of Mental overide of the normal. Yes all that noise and blast makes the recoil a lot more noticeable and your mind starts thinking about it as you start to pull the trigger. No doubt my limited gun has a bunch of recoil and flip but shooting it I don't even notice the bang or the recoil. It has taken me over a year to get to the same mental ignoring all that with the open gun. Now that I'm over the mental hump I am shooting much better.

There are two other guys that go to ARC that are real sharp on open guns, XRE, and Houston LeClair those two guys can point you the right way, but I think G-Mans doing a good job of that. I have shot N105, 3N38, and Acc #7 of the 3 3N38 is a little softer shooting but not enough for me to switch. Other powders I've tried that didn't cut it are N350, TruBlue, and HS6. IMR4756 might work but it fills the cases like N105, I got a bunch of IMR4756 loaded rounds with a gun I bought and I shot them but at the time I was in the metal abiss of the big blast.

Try shooting it minor, master your dot, and trigger, then when you are comfy with the gun try major, I did that it helped a bunch. Going back to major I barley noticed the difference. It will let you concentrate on your shooting not the recoil.

Edited by CocoBolo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Load Test: 38super Para/Colt, 50 degrees, sunny. ( 02/06/10)

124 MG , 1.256 OAL, 0.378 crimp, Asst. brass, 9.8 grains VV N105

1386avg velocity

171.864 PF

I think I've found a good load. Extremely accurate & very consistent dot tracking.

Now to experiment with the 115 MG's. Going to start at 10.0 and work up to 10.5 of VV N105.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Aside from longer OAL, that's almost exactly my load... 1.235" OAL in my case, and using a Zero 125gr (although I've now switched to 121s...). Made 175 PF at A4 :lol:, but tends to be 171-ish. Swapping a 121 out directly for it, I got 166 PF, which is what I expected.

Looking though all this has been really educational for me. I am assuming that the powders which use up case volume are better suited for a solid bullet as opposed to a jacketed hollow point. The Montana Gold IFP 121 grain bullet is different do you think this was designed for a slower or faster powder?

Thanks for letting your fingers do the talking, helps me out a lot.

earl

Edited by earlbob