Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr LRN data

Corey

While my other thread was a wealth of info (thank you all), i need a little mre precise info with this one. I have searched around on here and in a few reloading manuals i have and cant seem to find much data in the way of 200 gr Rn bullets. I have some of the Rainier plated, which I am told you ar eto use lead reload data for them. most of what i see is for FMJ or JHP or SWC, cant seem to find just plain LRN. I will be buying some SWC in the future so data there shouldnt be an issue.

For those who use 200gr RN bullets, whether to make major or just for plinking, what data are you using??

thanks!

5.0 grains Solo 1000. Start lower and work up. I generally shoot 5.1 grains with 200 g Precision RNFP coated bullets and found 5.0 with plain lead was more accurate. Overall length in my XD is short at about 1.2".

Accuracy was very touchy so 0.1 grain made a big difference during load work-up.

Since every gun is a little bit different, you probably won't see much difference between a LRN and a SWC. With any load you see on this forum, you should reduce the load by 5% and work back up. Also OAL pays a big part in the process, so when I say I have loaded 200gr LSWC with 5.0gr of W231 or 5.2 of Bullseye so the driving band is even with the case mouth this is just ball park figures. The info you receive about bullet A will not necessary translate to bullet B, Berry, Rainier and Xtreme or Montana Gold and Zero will probably require different powders and/or weights to achieve the same result.

Edited by LPatterson

The shamelessly stolen procedure I use is to take a factory cartridge preferably with a bullet of the same shape, screw the seating die up and raise the ram to the top of its stroke. Screw out the seating stem, screw down the die body until you feel it touch the cartridge case then back it out an 1/8 of a turn and lock it down. Slowly screw down the seating stem until you feel it touch the bullet, stop and lock it down. One thing not mentioned earlier is that if you have a die set like Dillon, there are 2 different stem shapes. Use the one that presses around the side of the bullet and not just the nose as this is a more realiable surface. A flat surface pressing down on a lead exposed nose might give you the same length but it will deform the bullet. An OAL of 1.225 to 1.250 should work in most 45 ACP's and keep the bullet from touching the rifling.

Corey

I have gone as much as 4.3 of Clays with 200 Gr LRN In my two S&W 625's They just make 165,000 PF in the 4 inch gun. But load I use the most is 3.9 of Clays. 200 if Not PF loads. 230's over the same powder charge if I need 165,000. One of my guns is a 3 inch and rarely used for competition other is a 4 and that's all it's used for. Clays is the way to go for revolvers, burns clean and allows long strings of reloads with no cleaning.

200 gr Lead SWC's in my two 1911's I use 5.6 of W 231 No reason that charge would no do well with the 200 gr RN too. My old 200 Gr SWC lead load in those pistols was 6.2 of Unique. The 231 burns cleaner than Unique. When I use up all the W 231 I have on hand will switch the Auto Pistols over to Clays too. One caution is new Hodgon Unique is a bit faster than the old Unique

I never use plated bullets in the 45 acp. No reason they won't work well however plain old lead does just fine. 800 fps or so is easy on bullets and no jackets or plate needed.

OA Length and crimp in all 4 guns is just a bit different. Not a lot but enough make a difference in performance & most important loading.

Boats

Edited by Boats

that i how i basically set up my dies already, and after making some dummy round for training-two birds with one stone- ive got an OAL of 1.245 right now. just wanted to see if that was in the ballpark for the 200gr Rn as i havent seen much data for them, just the 230s and 200SWC.

Boats- what OAL are you using for those loads?

I got the plated bullets at a lead price -- gotta love discounts :) -- looking forward to trying them

Hmmm... I don't use the LRN 200s but my 200 SWC data should get you pretty close.

Try 4.6 to 4.9 WST and OAL 1.250. This should make major comfortably. I'm running 4.9 grains for 876 fps mean velocity (175 PF) out of my 5" 1911 Kimber. Book max per Hodgdon is 5.1 grains.

I've also had good luck with Clays at the same OAL. 4.2 grains clays gives me 869 fps mean velocity (174 PF), again from the Kimber.

WST smoked a little less. Clays burned a little cleaner.

Corey

I don't put too much emphasis on a particular OAL. It's what works in the particular gun. One 1911 I use 1.275 other they have to be shorter 1.255 both Colts and Colt Barrels one chamber must be shorter than the others For the Autos with the SWC's I like a bit of lead exposed above the case neck, helps the ride up the feed ramp.

The Revolvers I don't even know as I seat those bullets to suit the crimp grove in the bullet. It's different on the 200 grs and 230 gr bullets. Since you are using Plated how you crimp is going be important. No grove to crimp in. Taper crimp like for Autos that's not a problem but roll a hard crimp in the plated for Revolvers it can deform the bullet.

Probably you should experiment some to see what works in your gun, with something new I like to load a dummy round long, paint the nose with a black marker and chamber. The black marker will witness how things are seating. If auto fitting the mags is something to consider too. For a revolver and plated make sure they don't set back on recoil.

Boats

Reread your post and will try for a better answer.

Seat them as long as you like so long as they don't touch the rifling of the barrel. They are suposed to fall out of the barrel easily and a case gauge too. Try 1.250" and go shorter until they fit. My Hornady manual show COAL for 45 ACP bullets from 1.245 to 1.200"

I could not find much OAL data for 200 RNFP either but needed to try them since my XD won't feed semiwadcutters. One test method I used was make a dummy round with plenty of crimp and see if it sticks in chamber. They are supposed to fall out of the barrel/chamber easily. Later I found my bullets were sticking in the chamber when the gun got dirty so I reduced OAL more and ended up at 1.2" for the XD45. The shorter OAL has improved reliability to the point I generally only have to worry about high primers now.

I'm shooting Missouri Bullets (cast lead) and Precision coated bullets. They have a flat tip instead of roundnose and a corresponding reduced COAL.