Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of match performance

jkatz44

Here is a link to videos of me shooting a local USPSA match. I have been shooting USPSA for about 1 year and currently classified as a 57% C class. Could you please analyze my performance and tell me what I am doing wrong. Any hints and tips is greatly appreciated.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy253/j...nt=MOV00584.flv

(The other videos should be on the left)

Edited by jkatz44

Here is a link to videos of me shooting a local USPSA match. I have been shooting USPSA for about 1 year and currently classified as a 57% C class. Could you please analyze my performance and tell me what I am doing wrong. Any hints and tips is greatly appreciated.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy253/j...nt=MOV00584.flv

(The other videos should be on the left)

Any ideas?

Jason,

Overall looks pretty good....my comments are as follows:

First stage: First shot was a little slow....it was a hard cover target but....Don't be quite so low in your stance. While you knees should not be straight, no need to be quite so low. Also, did you shoot the swinger at it's lowest point and then track striaght up to where it was going or did you just pop off a couple of shots and get lucky?

Second stage: Relax....your left arm is as stiff as boomarang...also....call your shots....1 shot on each steel will go a long way to cutting your time even if each shot takes .25 second longer to aim. You tried to "leave" on a steel twice....that cost you at least 2 seconds. Though your reload was pretty high you were jerking the gun around while reloading.

Third stage: I think if you straigtened up your right leg a bit you would have a pretty good stance....you want 50% of your weight on the balls of your feet. Also...after the reload keep the gun at eye level and know where you are going to put your right foot in the box....as that foot starts to land step into your stance and the gun will be right in front of you.

Fourth stage: Maybe a little too much animation on the bunny hop into the first position.....remember....smooth is fast. I think a little more forward lean in both positions would have helped as well.

Fifth stage: Looked pretty good except the steel miss....1 shot 1 steel....

Tell your dad I said hi, we met on the AMU bus...

Lee

Jason,

Overall looks pretty good....my comments are as follows:

First stage: First shot was a little slow....it was a hard cover target but....Don't be quite so low in your stance. While you knees should not be straight, no need to be quite so low. Also, did you shoot the swinger at it's lowest point and then track striaght up to where it was going or did you just pop off a couple of shots and get lucky?

Second stage: Relax....your left arm is as stiff as boomarang...also....call your shots....1 shot on each steel will go a long way to cutting your time even if each shot takes .25 second longer to aim. You tried to "leave" on a steel twice....that cost you at least 2 seconds. Though your reload was pretty high you were jerking the gun around while reloading.

Third stage: I think if you straigtened up your right leg a bit you would have a pretty good stance....you want 50% of your weight on the balls of your feet. Also...after the reload keep the gun at eye level and know where you are going to put your right foot in the box....as that foot starts to land step into your stance and the gun will be right in front of you.

Fourth stage: Maybe a little too much animation on the bunny hop into the first position.....remember....smooth is fast. I think a little more forward lean in both positions would have helped as well.

Fifth stage: Looked pretty good except the steel miss....1 shot 1 steel....

Tell your dad I said hi, we met on the AMU bus...

Lee

Lee,

Thanks.

Stage 1 When I drew on the hard cover, my trigger finger wasn't in the right place, so I had readjust it to finally shoot. I shot the swinger at the low point and tracked it up. I believe that the shots were alpha charlie. I will try not to bend so much.

Stage 2 Do you mean that my left arm was stiff during the start? If so, the start position was hands on the barrel.

I will tell my dad you said hi.

Jason

Here is what I see……

Stage 1 – Stand and shoot with Clamshell, Drop Turner and Swinger - This run looks ok but not fully optimized. Others have already commented on your stance. You gave up time and points on that stage given how you shot it. If I would have shot this stage I would have done it in the following order. Start on the popper, then shoot the right hand hard cover target, then clam shell, then back to the drop turner, then the swinger would be down or just coming up from being fully exposed at its low position then finish on the left hand hard cover target. Doing it this way you could be shooting the whole time and not be wasting any time or points.

Stage 2 – Barrel/No Shoot start – Since we can’t see the targets I can’t make any recommendations on stage breakdown. I can tell you that you are pulling the gun back excessively every time you move. Every time you pull the gun back and poke it back out you are wasting at least half a second if not more. Keep the gun out as much as possible. If you feel that you have to pull it back to gain balance only pull it back a little. Keep the gun up high and in front of your face as much as possible any time you move when you grip is broken down. You also need to work on getting the gun up and ready too shoot BEFORE you get into the shooting position. Currently you are moving into the shooting position then raising the gun to shoot. Big time wasted doing that. When you shoot you can see a strange easing back down arm motion post shot. Like you are breaking your elbows upwards to absorb the recoil then you have to move your arms back down for the next shot. Allowing your elbows to flex a little to absorb the recoil isn’t a bad thing but you need to work on an arm/elbow position that has the gun pump straight back and forward not up and down or side to side. Lastly, when you reload keep the gun high and up in your face. Since you were running from right to left this may be harder to do to keep from breaking the 180 while reloading.

Stage 3 – Box to Box stage – Nice aggressive draw. Notice how your whole body is rocking back and forth with every shot? That tells you that you are not forward biased enough and that you are trying to fight the recoil verses just letting it happen. You could keep the same grip tension but have less tension in your arms and the recoil would be absorbed by your elbows. Being biased more forward will also make recoil management easier. As you exit the first box look at your feet movement. There is a little bit of shuffling before you get moving. If your stance is correct you should be able to simply push off with your left foot to get launched into your movement to the next box. The fumbled reload killed your speed to the next box. The sooner your reload is done with the sooner you can really haul ass and run to the next box. Nice gun up and ready entry into the second box. There was some shuffling around while settling into the position but not bad. The main thing was that your gun was up and ready to go before you got into the box. Jams suck. Figure out why your gun jammed and resolve the issue. You can’t perform your best if you don’t have confidence in your equipment or are battling it during a stage run.

Stage 4 – Two walls stage – You got the gun out of the holster good but then left it half way mounted until you got into the shooting position. Get that gun up and ready to rumble before you get to the shooting position. This stage is a perfect test of getting into the correct shooting position. As you shot it you turned both sides into two separate shooting positions. A lot of times with around the wall stages like this you can eliminate this “Double Movement” by simply getting lower down to shoot. The lower you get the more you will be able to naturally lean around the corner but still keep your upper body solid. You also want to be careful about crowding the wall get only as far forward as you need and nothing more. An extra foot closer isn’t going to make any difference in shot difficulty, but it will kill a lot of time with needing to poke your gun past and back from the edge of the wall. On the left side, shooting the last targets as you fell out of the shooting position may be cool but usually generates wild or no hits at all. Once again pick a lower than normal shooting position and shoot from a more solid position.

Stage 5 – Gun on Barrel start stage – Since you are forced to go to both ends of the COF the only place to pick up an advantage on this stage is to shoot the steel one for one on the move as you attempted to do. If you didn’t need the make up shot on the first popper that would have been a very good run. If you shot the steel one for one that would have allowed you to skip the second reload and really haul ass to the final position. Shooting Production these two things would have been a HUGE advantage over others.

Overall, good shooting!!!

Here is what I see……

Stage 1 – Stand and shoot with Clamshell, Drop Turner and Swinger - This run looks ok but not fully optimized. Others have already commented on your stance. You gave up time and points on that stage given how you shot it. If I would have shot this stage I would have done it in the following order. Start on the popper, then shoot the right hand hard cover target, then clam shell, then back to the drop turner, then the swinger would be down or just coming up from being fully exposed at its low position then finish on the left hand hard cover target. Doing it this way you could be shooting the whole time and not be wasting any time or points.

Stage 2 – Barrel/No Shoot start – Since we can’t see the targets I can’t make any recommendations on stage breakdown. I can tell you that you are pulling the gun back excessively every time you move. Every time you pull the gun back and poke it back out you are wasting at least half a second if not more. Keep the gun out as much as possible. If you feel that you have to pull it back to gain balance only pull it back a little. Keep the gun up high and in front of your face as much as possible any time you move when you grip is broken down. You also need to work on getting the gun up and ready too shoot BEFORE you get into the shooting position. Currently you are moving into the shooting position then raising the gun to shoot. Big time wasted doing that. When you shoot you can see a strange easing back down arm motion post shot. Like you are breaking your elbows upwards to absorb the recoil then you have to move your arms back down for the next shot. Allowing your elbows to flex a little to absorb the recoil isn’t a bad thing but you need to work on an arm/elbow position that has the gun pump straight back and forward not up and down or side to side. Lastly, when you reload keep the gun high and up in your face. Since you were running from right to left this may be harder to do to keep from breaking the 180 while reloading.

Stage 3 – Box to Box stage – Nice aggressive draw. Notice how your whole body is rocking back and forth with every shot? That tells you that you are not forward biased enough and that you are trying to fight the recoil verses just letting it happen. You could keep the same grip tension but have less tension in your arms and the recoil would be absorbed by your elbows. Being biased more forward will also make recoil management easier. As you exit the first box look at your feet movement. There is a little bit of shuffling before you get moving. If your stance is correct you should be able to simply push off with your left foot to get launched into your movement to the next box. The fumbled reload killed your speed to the next box. The sooner your reload is done with the sooner you can really haul ass and run to the next box. Nice gun up and ready entry into the second box. There was some shuffling around while settling into the position but not bad. The main thing was that your gun was up and ready to go before you got into the box. Jams suck. Figure out why your gun jammed and resolve the issue. You can’t perform your best if you don’t have confidence in your equipment or are battling it during a stage run.

Stage 4 – Two walls stage – You got the gun out of the holster good but then left it half way mounted until you got into the shooting position. Get that gun up and ready to rumble before you get to the shooting position. This stage is a perfect test of getting into the correct shooting position. As you shot it you turned both sides into two separate shooting positions. A lot of times with around the wall stages like this you can eliminate this “Double Movement” by simply getting lower down to shoot. The lower you get the more you will be able to naturally lean around the corner but still keep your upper body solid. You also want to be careful about crowding the wall get only as far forward as you need and nothing more. An extra foot closer isn’t going to make any difference in shot difficulty, but it will kill a lot of time with needing to poke your gun past and back from the edge of the wall. On the left side, shooting the last targets as you fell out of the shooting position may be cool but usually generates wild or no hits at all. Once again pick a lower than normal shooting position and shoot from a more solid position.

Stage 5 – Gun on Barrel start stage – Since you are forced to go to both ends of the COF the only place to pick up an advantage on this stage is to shoot the steel one for one on the move as you attempted to do. If you didn’t need the make up shot on the first popper that would have been a very good run. If you shot the steel one for one that would have allowed you to skip the second reload and really haul ass to the final position. Shooting Production these two things would have been a HUGE advantage over others.

THANKS CHA LEE!

I really appreciate all of your help. I will continue to post more videos to track my progress.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
Here is what I see……

THANKS CHA LEE!

I really appreciate all of your help. I will continue to post more videos to track my progress.

Jason

Here is what I see……

THANKS CHA LEE!

Jason

Here is a link to some video of me doing some dry fire practice. Any tips is appreciated. :cheers:

The first video is my draw. The other video (to the left of the screen)is reloads.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy253/jkatz44/?action=view&current=MOV00602.flv

Here is what I see……

THANKS CHA LEE!

Jason

Here is a link to some video of me doing some dry fire practice. Any tips is appreciated. :cheers:

The first video is my draw. The other video (to the left of the screen)is reloads.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy253/jkatz44/?action=view&current=MOV00602.flv

Any suggestions?

This is what I see….

Your draws look solid but forced. You look tense and you can see some extra body movement during the draw. Optimally your stance and upper body should be undisturbed while drawing. Only your arms should be moving. Then there is a 2 – 3 tenths of a second pause between the gun being fully mounted and extended verses breaking the shot. What are you waiting for with breaking the shot? If you are fishing to align the sights after the gun is mounted and extended then you have a fundamental flaw when building your grip low in the draw cycle. It does not make any sense to get the gun out of the holster super fast but sloppy which forces you to fish for the sights once the gun is mounted. You want the sights 90% aligned or better at the end of mounting the gun so you can instantly break the shot.

The other thing to consider is practicing with the gun weighted normally. Build up some dummy rounds and load them up in your mags so your gun and mags are the same weight they would be in competition. You can dig yourself into a hole by dry firing with light weight mags and gun because they wont be that lighter weight when you use them in a match. Your reloads look good. But you are missing an important step of dropping the spent mag before canting the gun to accept the new mag. You may be pushing the button to simulate the drop of the old mag but you are not leaving the gun at a downward angle long enough to allow the spent mag to fall free. Yes, picking up spent mags when doing dry fire reload practice sucks, but its worth the extra effort. Just do it over a chair or clothes hamper to catch the spent mags.

Other than that keep up the hard work!!!

This is what I see….

Your draws look solid but forced. You look tense and you can see some extra body movement during the draw. Optimally your stance and upper body should be undisturbed while drawing. Only your arms should be moving. Then there is a 2 – 3 tenths of a second pause between the gun being fully mounted and extended verses breaking the shot. What are you waiting for with breaking the shot? If you are fishing to align the sights after the gun is mounted and extended then you have a fundamental flaw when building your grip low in the draw cycle. It does not make any sense to get the gun out of the holster super fast but sloppy which forces you to fish for the sights once the gun is mounted. You want the sights 90% aligned or better at the end of mounting the gun so you can instantly break the shot.

The other thing to consider is practicing with the gun weighted normally. Build up some dummy rounds and load them up in your mags so your gun and mags are the same weight they would be in competition. You can dig yourself into a hole by dry firing with light weight mags and gun because they wont be that lighter weight when you use them in a match. Your reloads look good. But you are missing an important step of dropping the spent mag before canting the gun to accept the new mag. You may be pushing the button to simulate the drop of the old mag but you are not leaving the gun at a downward angle long enough to allow the spent mag to fall free. Yes, picking up spent mags when doing dry fire reload practice sucks, but its worth the extra effort. Just do it over a chair or clothes hamper to catch the spent mags.

Other than that keep up the hard work!!!

THANKS! :cheers: