Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting An Ambi-safety???

PistolPete

I have a new SVI and the ambi safety on it was broken so they shipped a new one out to me. I tried to install it on the gun and it was pretty simple EXCEPT, it doesn't fit exactly right. There is about an 1/8" between the inside of the safety to the frame. I don't want to over tighten the screw as I know this safety will just break. I'm going to give the gun to one of the gunsmiths I shoot with so he can properly fit it but I want to know for my own knowledge, how would you fit this? Would you file some of the medal away on the safety? Or is there a better way?

thanks,

Pete

Pete,

If the left side will not go flush to the frame you need to make sure the plunger (between the safety and slide stop) is out of the way. If the right side will not go in, you need to make sure you have loosened the ball screw so that it can fully enter the socket. Once it has entered all the way, and the safety is flush with the frame, you can tighten the ball screw to eliminate the movement. Be careful as these are very delicate parts and can break if not installed carefully/properly. Watch your smith do it once and you should be fine.

Leo

Pete- Do not file away any material from the safety at all. I did it on my first set and they never tensioned correctly again. The right side (when looking at the gun while shooting) is tapered on the inside this material is needed to grab and guide the right side as it goes together. Read the instructions!! You need to tap them together then turn the screw. Repeat this untill it is tight with no slop side to side. I never got the hang of this, now I have Ed Brown's instead.

I have those same instructions. When I put it together without the set screw everything goes together perfectly. But, when I add that and try fitting it back together I have a gap between the frame and the inside of the safety. I can't figure out why I can't get this to fit better.

Pete

Pete- Which side of the safety is not going all of the way in to contact the frame? Are you turning the screw 1/2 turn and tapping the two sides of the safety together? Make sure that the left side is all of the way in and word the right side onto the left. This process is a huge pain in the neck. Have you tried calling SVI? I got lucky and one of the smiths got onto the phone and helped. Be patient.

The right side is the side that won't go flush with the frame. I was thinking of tapping it with a rubber mallet but I'm afraid I'll break the metal. I think that is what happened the first time. Maybe I'll just try that and if I break it then I'll just get the part from someone else. I don't want SV to think I'm an idiot as I keep breaking their safeties. HEHE

Pete :ph34r:

Pete-The rubber mallet is what you need to use (won't ruin the finish). Put a piece of wood under the left side safety to support it, then tap the right side safety on the rear corner directly over the screw hole. I hit 'em pretty hard, I was getting pretty mad by now, and they didn't break. Make sure that they are lined up correctly. The male straight "square box" of the left side will fit into the female "square funnel" on the right side. There is a one (1) degree taper per side in the female funnel. It may be necessary to turn "Counterclockwise" one quarter turn (1/4) and then tap or squeeze the two sides together. Repeat as necessary until the left and right sides are tight against the frame....Having a spare set of safeties is a good thing.

Pete-I thought that you could use a good chuckle......All this talk about safeties made me get my set of SVI ambi's out of the box. It only took about 5 minutes and they are now broke beyond repair. OOOOPS! You can add another 80 bucks to the pile of useless parts. HAHAHAHHA