Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire target ranges

sifu128

Hey guys, I am setting up a staged area at home so I can dry fire using regular targets and 8 1/2 x 11 printable targets. I am not sure how to simulate a 25 yard shot with the 8 1/2 x 11 targets. Do you know how far you need to be away to simulate that distance?

TIA

Hey guys, I am setting up a staged area at home so I can dry fire using regular targets and 8 1/2 x 11 printable targets. I am not sure how to simulate a 25 yard shot with the 8 1/2 x 11 targets. Do you know how far you need to be away to simulate that distance?

TIA

let's say that your real targets are 18" wide and your printed targets are 6" wide. The ratio of the two is 6/18 or 1/3. That means each unit of distance you stand from the printed targets they "appear" to be 3 times farther than a real target. If you hang the printed targets at 15 feet, the size would look like real targets at 45 feet. I quoted "appear" since your eyes will really only be focusing at the actual distance of 15 feet. It is not a perfect simulation of the real distance but it is still a good training tool. For your 25 yard thing you need to hang the targets 25/3 yards away.

Later,

Chuck

Formula: Real Distance = Simulated Distance * ( reduced target dimension/real target dimension)

distances are in the same units and dimensions are in the same units.

TIA

let's say that your real targets are 18" wide and your printed targets are 6" wide. The ratio of the two is 6/18 or 1/3. That means each unit of distance you stand from the printed targets they "appear" to be 3 times farther than a real target. If you hang the printed targets at 15 feet, the size would look like real targets at 45 feet. I quoted "appear" since your eyes will really only be focusing at the actual distance of 15 feet. It is not a perfect simulation of the real distance but it is still a good training tool. For your 25 yard thing you need to hang the targets 25/3 yards away.

Later,

Chuck

Formula: Real Distance = Simulated Distance * ( reduced target dimension/real target dimension)

distances are in the same units and dimensions are in the same units.

Thank you :)

TIA

Wow I'm sure some one has that answer. Since I deal in limited space longest distance down the hall is 12 yards what I typically do is use a felt tip marker and put a + on the target and the sights must lock in on the + not just the paper at all distances. This calls for a lot more precision espcially when drawing to the target. You might want to just draw a small box on the target to represent the A-Zone rather than the +.

TIA

Wow I'm sure some one has that answer. Since I deal in limited space longest distance down the hall is 12 yards what I typically do is use a felt tip marker and put a + on the target and the sights must lock in on the + not just the paper at all distances. This calls for a lot more precision espcially when drawing to the target. You might want to just draw a small box on the target to represent the A-Zone rather than the +.

Once I get this setup I am going to see how it looks. This is great for rainy days when I can not get to the range. Since I am using an IDPA target I only want to make sure that when I break the first shot I am still within the zero zone. I will report back how my luck goes :)

TIA

Once I get this setup I am going to see how it looks. This is great for rainy days when I can not get to the range. Since I am using an IDPA target I only want to make sure that when I break the first shot I am still within the zero zone. I will report back how my luck goes :)

The dry firing went beter than expected!!

Glad to hear that the dry firing went well. Now that Christmas is over and the holiday "stuff" is winding down. I plan on getting back into the dry firing routine much more than I've been the last month or so. One of the things I've learned regarding dry firing is that unless you are totally honest with your dry fire shot calling, the entire process is pretty much worthless. Good luck and call your shots! :D

Glad to hear that the dry firing went well. Now that Christmas is over and the holiday "stuff" is winding down. I plan on getting back into the dry firing routine much more than I've been the last month or so. One of the things I've learned regarding dry firing is that unless you are totally honest with your dry fire shot calling, the entire process is pretty much worthless. Good luck and call your shots! :D

I do know the feeling. It is funny how you can tell with dry firing when you miss a shot. For some reason its easier for me to tell than live fire. I also have an easier time shooting (dry firing) with both eyes open. Anyone else run in to this?

I put a pretty extensive list of core and supplemental skills that i need to work on in order to get me to master this year. I am hoping this will do it!!

the longest distance i have in my house is 30 ft and part of that is down a hallway so i dont have much room for anything but draws and maybe some reloads. what i do is have a regulation IPSC target on the wall for those "longer drills". i also have tape on the A zones and when im closer, i stick one of my old business cards in the upper zone and a magazine subscription card in the lower. I also colored a 2"x3" black square ont he bottom one for an even more precise drawing point. i guess if i can draw to a 2x3 area well, ill be able to draw to the whole A zone when the time comes....

I also have a few of the 1/3 size targets i printed out like you have hangin on my wall for longer range transition drills, etc.

Edited by Corey