Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The big brain rush

chefcs5

Ok so I am not sure this is the correct area. but how do you combat the big mental rush that happens between the words "shooter ready" and the beep. If you dont know what I mean. When I load and make ready all is calm. Then when thr RO says those words my brain goes crazy..Did I load 11, do all ,y mags have 10? is my plan right or should I go the other way? are my shotes tied? and abillion other things. Then the beep and all that is gone and a huge rush of adreniline. Now thats another problem.. Its like I am inside of my self looking out watching my self shoot, like I am on autopilot. I can see the errors as I make them but still make them. Then Im done..its over time to listen to the time and score and look at what things I ddi wrong effected those. Maybe I am not the type who can settle thier mind. Does any of this happen to any one else? if it has and you solved it ..how??? Love to hear any advice.

I find the more confidant you are in your skills, The less you think and just do. Planning my stage well helped me alot . If I can see my first target, my eyes are focused hard on the A zone. All I'm thinking about is drawing smooth and fast to that spot. In other words just focus on that one thing and when the timer sounds, do it

Man on man shoot offs with a small crowd watching, every week for a year.

+1000. I started off shooting man on man matches and they helped my confidence and focus immensely. Those are the only issues by the way, confidence and focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Between "shooter ready" and the beep I'm just focusing on the first thing I have to do (first target to shoot, first shooting spot to go to, the gun that needs to be picked up from the table starts, ...) just that one thing.

What I did discover during the last practice is that I hold my breath during that time as well, so I’m now also try to breath but that the main focus will still be on the first thing I need to do after the beep.