Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Owner's Manuals

lynn jones

i have a jvc digital camera, mini dv. i'm trying to make a dvd of this years' matches for the pards, all of a sudden i get an error message E03. the display says remove battery and replace. it's in safe mode. oooky, i do the procedure as written, cus that's what we do. nothing happens execpt same error message. so i go to the manuel (rule book), the error message says "contact a service repair station. oookay, i email the tech duds, oops tech dudes, i get a respond several days later:

We would like to thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to JVC.

We are sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your camera.

The indication E-03 or E-04 is an Emergency Error Code. In the event of a malfunction the unit

will shut down and display a code. This is to inform an independent JVC authorized service

center which area of the camcorder to examine in order to ascertain the nature of the problem.

The E-03 or E-04 code relates to one of the tape spindles not turning. This could be the result

of too much slack on the video tape. If E-03or E-04 is displayed it may be possible to correct

the problem by removing the tape slack. In order to do this follow these steps:

1) Remove power source for 1 minute.

2) Reattach power source.

3) Press "EJECT" (DO NOT PRESS POWER)

4) Repeat above steps until tape ejects.

5) Tighten and insert a new tape.

this was edited.

finally, the beef, the tape was broke. i know i should have checked this in the first place, but the error message mislead me. why couldn't tney just put the freaking error message in the damn owners manual in the first place.

jezz

lynn

Considering RAM and ROM are practically free, why not translate the damned code into English using the damned computer and eliminate this circle jerk altogther? This is my number one hate about software engineers. Yes, engineers need codes to make software, but goddamit, the user doesn't have access to your secret codebook. Take a couple extra hours to write an error decoder and make EVERYONE'S life less painful.

[/soapbox Mode]

Sounds like they need a good tech writer.

They really just need to beat the software engineering manager with a 2x4. There's no reason to have to go to a manual for 98% of the errors. They could easily put the troubleshooting tips right on the camera. It's just pure laziness.

They really just need to beat the software engineering manager with a 2x4. There's no reason to have to go to a manual for 98% of the errors. They could easily put the troubleshooting tips right on the camera. It's just pure laziness

Agreed. I work with a lot of professional video gear and it gets even worse on the larger machines. We have $20,000 Sony Betacam VCR's in rental stock with 16 digit scrollable displays and enough RAM and processor in them to choke a horse and they still flash "Error E-103-BA"

A 2x4 is not big enough, or heavy enough.

Regards,

wonder if it isn't because they have to rush the product to market before it becomes obsolete, and they don't have the time to write and print a unique manual.

Trust me, the manuals are there. UJM (Universal Japanese Manufacturing) products are manualed out the wazoo, they just want some more money for them. At least the professional gear "usually" puts the error message tables, and service access codes in the back of the booklets they come with. We have however, had to pay upwards of $500 to get service manuals with lookup codes for tweaking processing values to compensate for heat related circuitry drifts in cheaply made LCD video projectors.

A wood stick of any sort isn't the answer here, I'm starting to think about a four foot section of 1.5" schedule 80 steel pipe.

Regards,