Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"the Last Samurai"

I never really enjoyed "Shogun" the movie but then I had read the book 4 times and I don't think the movie did it justice.  I recall when I had just finished the book the first time I felt a tranquility which I hadn't expereienced before.

I had the same experience of tranquilty after reading Shogun.

• 3 weeks later...

BE-san,

Have you seen it yet? Come on man... give us your enlightened break-down.

:lol:

I really enjoyed it. Like TL and DT, I think it's one of the best Cruise's ever, up there with Jerry McGuire(?)

Have a good weekend!

• 2 months later...

Allright... Since I joined Hollywood Video's MVP club - basically 10 bucks a month and you can have up to three movies out at any time - which is shocking because I normally run away at the first sign of "joining a club," I watched it last night. I'd give it a 6. But I was in a funky mood so I wouldn't say a 6 is final. Cruise was good but not that compelling. But then of course I'm not a big fan. My favorite fight scenes were the trainin/sparing duels. Those were pretty cool.

And sorry Duane but I think you must have been stuck in one of your laughing fits when you said - "This thing makes a Jim Jarmusch film look straightforward."

That's over the top.

:o

I waited for "The Last Samurai"to come out in DVD.When it finally came out a couple of months ago,I ordered a copy right away.I first saw the movie about a month ago and sinced then,I've seen it 4 times already.I think that this is the best movie of Tom Cruise so far.I still haven't seen "Collateral"yet though.

baron45

I watched the movie last night and, whilst I enjoyed it, I would rate it behind Shogun. Another favourite East-West clash movie is "The Red Sun" which starred Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune (not to mention Ursula Andress).

I just ordered the DVD of "The Red Sun"from Amazon.com a couple of weeks ago.I think that this one is of the best movies of Charles Bronson.

baron45