Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Prod.div. And Revolvers

Chuck D

The following question(s) are in regards to IPSC not USPSA rules.

Does a revolver have to fit inside the IPSC box to be legal for IPSC Production Division?

If it does, can the cylinder exceed the height limits of the box?

What I'd like to know is , can my S&W 627, 8 shot 38/357 revolver be used in IPSC Production Division. :unsure:

Thank you in advance !

Julien,

That is what I thought as well, but when I checked the approved gun list under S&W for this case, I saw revolvers listed. E.g. my own S&W 686 is listed there, so apparently you can compete with revolvers in IPSC PD too.

Hi guys,

No, Production Division is not just a pistol division, and it was never intended to be so.

As you know, Revolver Standard Division limits the number of shots fired to 6 before a reload, and this was done so that we could (hopefully) attract the vast majority of revolvers which already exist (i.e. 6 rounders) to participate in IPSC competition. However if you want to shoot your 8 round revolver to capacity without penalty, you're more than welcome to shoot in Production Division, provided you observe the same maximum barrel length of 127mm (5").

OTOH, if you want to shoot a revolver with porting, you can shoot in Modified Division, and if you want to shoot a scoped revolver there's Open Division .Of course there's no way in the world we can please everybody, but we try to accommodate as many popular guns as possible.

As far as the approved gun list is concerned, I guess we could be accused of taking the "lazy" way out by simply stating "(revolver models must be 5" models or less)", but I'll happily add the S&W 627 (and a few others too) because, well, I like to keep Chuck happy ;)

However while revolvers are more than welcome to shoot in Production Division, we didn't expect to see too many around the world doing so. Things are a little different in the USA & Canada, because they have to deal with a 10 round limit for pistols, so an 8 round revolver is not too disadvantaged with the round count, unlike shooting in the rest of the world, where +15 round pistols are the norm.

Chuck,

Just a follow-up: your beloved S&W627 (and a few other models) have been added to the IPSC approved gun list so, if any of those Canucks try giving you a hard time, just tell 'em Uncle Vinny gave you a pink ticket and instructions to whup their you-know-whats :P

Have a great match. Wear a hat.

Thank you VERY much. :)

Love them IPSC Canada guys/gals...even if they do give me grief. ;) Hanging out with Murray Gardner doesn't help my cause any.....

Wonder if those guys remember what a revolver looks like? :huh:

To be serious now....thanks again.

:wub: