Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for help with SR 7625 in .38 Super using 147 grain bullets.

FF1063

Title says it all. I'm trying to use just SR 7625 as my one powder for .38 Super, .38 Special and .45acp. I've found data for everything except 147 grain bullets in .38 Super. I'm looking for a starting point.

I've checked IMR website, Hodgdon data, all my loadbooks, IPSC data, Google and am at wits end.

Anyone have a clue?

I had a can some years back. It seemed to work about the same as 231 (in 9mm) but for some reason I just could not get it to do what I wanted. I never tried it in 38Super, I just found powders that were far more easily available at teh time and I justcan't be buggered to change now. I t is available again down here, but that is just tough.

I now use Titegroup, 231/HP38 or N320.

But as far as I recall if you start with the 231 start loads and take some care see how it goes.

All the data that is available seems to inicate that it generates too much pressure in the 38Super, eitehr Hodgdon decided enough was enough or they found something they don't want to share. I honestly suggest that given the dearth of reliable info I would look at something else.

I have tried a number of powders over the years that in theory should not work, data is not available etc etc, I have always found somethin that works better for accuracy, speed and or pressure or all of the aforementioned. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, but I look at what is in front of me and think this ain't one of them.

Be careful.

More to the question

Why this powder?

Do you have shit loads?

Can you get it really cheap?

I have always struck problems using one powder for lots of cartridges. There is no advantage. You use the same amount across the three loads and you might as well have a backup plan.

For 38Super, Special and 45ACP, I can think of many that will work.

Titgroup, 231, N320, HP38, Solo, Clays (be careful in Super) Unique, WST, PB to name a few.

Unless you are getting tons free it is not worth the effort. You could probably run whatever you drive at Datona but don't expect it to finish very well. If one powder could/would work in every size cartridge there wouldn't be so many powders out there. If you wanted to pound a nail would you try using a screwdriver.

Title says it all. I'm trying to use just SR 7625 as my one powder for .38 Super, .38 Special and .45acp. I've found data for everything except 147 grain bullets in .38 Super. I'm looking for a starting point.

I've checked IMR website, Hodgdon data, all my loadbooks, IPSC data, Google and am at wits end.

Anyone have a clue?

This powder is great if you are running a compensator. It is designed for DoD with a flash inhibitor and a result of this it makes lots of gas for the comp. In 9mm with comp I use 5.7 grains. sweet, clean, soft and I have PF of 140.

'Can you get it really cheap?'

It is readily available and cheap.

'Why this powder?'

It appears to be optimal for my .38 Super 125/130 loads to 1,300 fps and my .38 Spl 158 lead loads.(my two main loads) It has good loading density, meters well, it's single base for reduced smoke/leading.

'Do you have shit loads?'

No.

'For 38Super, Special and 45ACP, I can think of many that will work'

Titegroup is too fast and too hot for some of my applications, VV powders are as rare as hen's teeth. Solo and Clays are too fast, Clays does not meter well.

WSF and WST are good candidates.

Saving time by not needing to change powder in the measure is a factor. I like to switch calibers often and use the powder measure on my turret press in between dies. Changing powders is time consuming.

It would save me money by having fewer powders on hand is another reason.

I've found data for everything except 147 grain bullets in .38 Super. I'm looking for a starting point.

There's usually a reason for such things ;)

If you manage to come up with loads for it in all three cartridges you're going to wind up with three (or at least two) that aren't really so great. R,

I've found data for everything except 147 grain bullets in .38 Super. I'm looking for a starting point.

There's usually a reason for such things ;)

If you manage to come up with loads for it in all three cartridges you're going to wind up with three (or at least two) that aren't really so great. R,

Yeah, I know, it's just odd, plenty of data for Titegroup w/147's which seems like it should be too fast of a powder for the application. SR 7625 should be just right as far as burn rate, but I really don't want to start experimenting 'off the charts'.

I guess I'll probably end up supplementing the SR 7625 with Titegroup for the 147 grain target loads, don't load them that often anyway.

reduce a 130 grain load and chrono.

ive loaded that powder with 147 grain XTP in my SVI to major with supercomp brass and federal small magnum pistol primers...the load data escapes me at this point though.

Harmon