Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use HK45 for IDPA CDP

Lumpy McSoo

FYI

As a left handed shooter I own an ambidextrous version of the HK45. While I was told it makes size and I have passed every box test (3 different boxes 3 different clubs)I wanted to know for sure. I was thinking about using it at a State match this year. I measured the width of the ambidextrous control lever and I got 1.663 This is .038 over max width. As a lot of boxes might not be that tight on tolerances, I wanted other to know before they get DQ at a major match. I intend to shave a little off the left side and I rarely use the safety while the gun is in my right hand. Those that have a single side control lever will not have any issue with width.

My information was in relation to the HK45 not the HK 45USP (expert) or any of the other HK handguns in 45 caliber. The USP control levers are not interchangeable with the HK45 and therefore I cannot comment on them. I was told by members that it would make size. I have been fortunate that the boxes I have had it sized in have all had a sprung hinged lid. The dimension I gave of 1.663 inches is actual overall width of my gun with HK's factory ambidextrous control lever. I just wanted others to know that the HK45 is over the legal width if it is equipped with HK's factory ambidextrous control lever. Fortunately .038 thousands is an easy fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

As for my co-worker, he'll use one of his many pistols if he ever makes it to a match.

I will keep using my Glocks and M&Ps and perhaps occassionally my 1911s.

I have a feeling I'll be going to a Gen4 G17 or G22 and carrying a Gen4 G22 or G23. I really like the new texture and the new mag release. I am one of those who, when thinking logically, like to compete with something as close to my carry gun, well, that is how I started out, with a G23 for carry and a G22 for IDPA but then had to get a G35 and then a G34 in case I had to travel and then by factory ammo for a shoot...since my minor 40s are great but why handicap oneself with factory 40s....

I like all of my pistols but seem to find myself always coming back to my Glocks...now I have the Gen4 craving...

Later, Lumpy.

Duane,

I know in one of your thousands of posts you said how you have your trigger set up with connector and springs and I would guess factory firing pin and spring cups. What about mag release? I really like the Vickers length between the short factory standard and the G34 extended. I like the Gen4 even better.

Why do I normally carry my G23 over my G22 or G35? Well, I have a Milt Sparks VM-II for the G-23 and not the other two, yet. I do have a sidearmor for the G22 which does the job but is not as comfortable as the Sparks, but it is probably a touch quicker, perhaps, but not by much. Hard to do timer work at my current indoor range. It is very easy for me to carry the G23 in shorts and a t shirt and not print but the slightly bigger size of the G22 is not bad, just not as concealed as the G23.

The main thing that has me concerned about competeing with one and only one carry gun and then carrying it is spring replacement and maintenance. This is where I would like to get two Glocks set up identically, but carry the one with less rounds on the spring and then switch them out and switch pistols so they both get their fair share of the work, plus I have a backup match gun.

Good point and good thoughts. My thoughts now are get a Gen4 G17 for IDPA and perhaps a Gen4 G22 for carry, but why? WHy not two G17s or two G22s, or why not just one and change the springs on a regular basis. Partly, I dry fire much more than live fire so have no clue how often I should change them. They seem to last forever (springs) that is, until they break.

My thoughts now are load 40S&W to about 140-145 PF in the Gen4 g22 and then carry my HST LEs from Federal.My current load for my G34 is 4.2 grs Titegroup with a Montana Gold 124 CMJ at about 142 PF. I don't think I would have the reliabiltiy issues some guys had at 125 PF. Perhaps I just talked myself into a Gen4 G17 for IDPA and Carry. Thanks.... :)

Have you put out your evaluation on the Gen4 G22 yet?

Sorry to ramble but the lawnmower is waiting...

Later, Lumpy.

I have the Vickers Tactical mag release button in my G34. And my G17. And my G19. You could say I like this part. :)

My review of the Gen-4 G22 will come in the very next Gun World. BTW, if you're interested, my review of the STI GP6 will come out in the next Blue Press, and my article on shooting the Firearms Academy of Seattle's Handgun Master test with a Wilson .45 will be in the next SWAT.