Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Steel Nationals? *Poll Added*

Just tell me which month.

I'm thinking of when I have been up to my ass in snow for awhile and need a break from it. :) I want to get down to see you and Nemo, Mark, Bobby and all my friends down south. Damn, if mom didn't get ill I would still be living down there with you guys....

I need to put some money aside, when I know, I'll get with you on it.

I am waiting for a reply from outterlimits.

He used to have videos of the old Colt matches from the early 90's posted somewhere.

They were aired on ESPN.

I would be for anything that would be spectator/TV friendly.

Will this match have carbon copy scoresheets?

;)

A comment from a competitor at area 1 this year went like this:

"Now I know why you never see an all steel stage at big matches"

We had a 22 round all steel stage, steel in all directions, such that no

matter which way the wind blew, steel would fall over. Calibration

nightmare.

It was a real fun stage and I got to shoot parts of it 3 different times, a couple other squad mates got the same practice I did but no calibration challenges.

If you want to have an idea of how popular this sort of event is, there's one nearly perfect example. Rio Salado's Tues Night Steel. They may not have as much movement as some field courses, but it's definitely not stand and shoot....at least they weren't when I was living there. To give folks a gauge, on 12/23/2008 they had 119 entries! Yeah, any match that can draw over 100 shooters (including 15+ GM's) two days before Christmans has to be doing something right.

http://uspsa2.org/Matches/rspp/rspp081223.htm

Tim Egan on the first page wrote:

A comment from a competitor at area 1 this year went like this:

"Now I know why you never see an all steel stage at big matches"

We had a 22 round all steel stage, steel in all directions, such that no

matter which way the wind blew, steel would fall over. Calibration

nightmare.

Were these the normal every day rearward falling poppers?

Are forward falling poppers more resistant to being knocked over by the wind?

just a thought that had popped into my head... has anyone tried to use a magnet on the end of your typical rearward falling popper's adjustment screw/bolt to keep the wind from knocking them over?

One could set the rules for this prospective "nationals" such that a hit on a falling piece of steel still scores the same whether it is left standing up or it actually falls down. If something like that could ever get televised, the falling steel is really only there to add to the spectator-ness of the match.

And maybe.... possibly... at the back end of the match there could be a chronograph stage where everyone has to make minor PF (125 and above).

anywhooo.... not to bog another thread down into a popper calibration rules debate....

like the one we were in like 3 or 4 months ago. :rolleyes:

GmanBart wrote:

To give folks a gauge, on 12/23/2008 they had 119 entries! Yeah, any match that can draw over 100 shooters (including 15+ GM's) two days before Christmans has to be doing something right.

http://uspsa2.org/Matches/rspp/rspp081223.htm

Holy Cow! Man! Talking about a big pond with a lot of sharks.

Does anyone have any video of this match posted to the web?

Does anyone have any video of this match posted to the web?

Here are a couple that give you an idea of some of what they do....they also have a big Spring Steel match as well. You'll note that Tues Night Steel starts before it gets dark :)

Yes, I hope that the Drazy match is on again. The only thing that hurt him was the price point and no prize table.

I understand the money involved in using PASA park, but in this economy, you are going to have to lower the prices for matches or people are going to stay home. If the location needs to change it can still be done too. I would tend to shy away from a "Nationals" and just make it a stand alone match so there is no confusion. I know there was some confusion last year with the rules since it was a first year match.

I know the bugs will be worked out and am looking forward to it again.

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Were these the normal every day rearward falling poppers? Some of each.

Are forward falling poppers more resistant to being knocked over by the wind? The ones used had a prop rod to a bolt on the front.

just a thought that had popped into my head... has anyone tried to use a magnet on the end of your typical rearward falling popper's adjustment screw/bolt to keep the wind from knocking them over? and how would you guarantee the magnet stays in place for calibration.

One could set the rules for this prospective "nationals" such that a hit on a falling piece of steel still scores the same whether it is left standing up or it actually falls down. If something like that could ever get televised, the falling steel is really only there to add to the spectator-ness of the match. There are lots of spectators and TV at the Steel World Championships and nothing falls. How many were at the Drazy match?

And maybe.... possibly... at the back end of the match there could be a chronograph stage where everyone has to make minor PF (125 and above). Here in my bag I have this Barney mag you can use for chono check. Do we make it Level III or believe in integrity.

I hate dropped letters.

Edited by LPatterson

Ya lost me there, Mr. Patterson...whatcya-talkin'bout...dropped letters?

Maybe there is TV there at Piru and a lot of people spectated at it because there is $30,000 on the line for any guy who can break the 80 second mark.

People like something exciting. People like drama. Putting lots of money on it and making it high stakes is a way to draw people in to watching it.

Let me put it to you this way...if there wasn't big, HUGE! money in golf, would it get televised? Would people still watch it?

I think it is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Why heck... I was flipping through the channels last night. I think it was on the "Versus" channel they were airing a dart game/tournament.

A.

Dart.

Game.

?

!

?

!

:wacko: