Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 dawson precision ice magwell magazine choice

triplesinglestack

I recently added a dawson Ice magwell to my SS .45 and found the Wilson Combat Mags w long base pads work okay but I think may be too long for "the box" (USPSA) anyone else have recommendations? I tried the search and found some posts on the magwell but not anything in particular to which mags work best etc.

thanks

I recently added a dawson Ice magwell to my SS .45 and found the Wilson Combat Mags w long base pads work okay but I think may be too long for "the box" (USPSA) anyone else have recommendations? I tried the search and found some posts on the magwell but not anything in particular to which mags work best etc.

thanks

Get you a IDPA box, and grind them to fit it. It doesn't take much off the front of the mags before they will fit.

thanks

Get you a IDPA box, and grind them to fit it. It doesn't take much off the front of the mags before they will fit.

+1. I started with Wlson Combat 47DE's and grinded off the front corners until they fit.

What do you use to grind them down.

I tried to get a friend to let me use his belt sander but he didn't want me to gum it up. So, I dug around in the garage and I found this little saw that I had bought for cutting trim to allow tile to fit under. It is about 1" wide, flat with fine teeth. I sawed off the material to get them close to size and finished with a couple files. (A belt sander would of been quicker!)

Later,

Chuck

PS: I used a saw like this: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...ELAID=109340669

I tried a coping saw but it was a pain to keep cutting straight.

What do you use to grind them down?

Everybody needs a dremel in their tool kit!

Just be advised that while it is the most useful tool since the screwdriver, it can also generate a lot of work for your gunsmith and/or parts dealer if you get overzealous!