Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H&K USP 45 basepads

Ohioguy

Anyone aware of a company that produces basepads/mag extensions for the USP 45?

I found a basepad/extension on AR15.com marked 'CJS', but I am unable to locate the maker online. Can someone point me in their direction, or suggest another maker?

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone aware of a company that produces basepads/mag extensions for the USP 45?

I found a basepad/extension on AR15.com marked 'CJS', but I am unable to locate the maker online. Can someone point me in their direction, or suggest another maker?

Aaron,

I think you'll have a great deal of difficulty getting these short of making them yourself or finding a prototype to copy. You might try to find someone who has some older aftermarket Para Ordnance P14 mag basepads as those would fit the HK metal mags. I tried them but had limited capacity(3-4?). If you can track down CJS to sell you some old basepads that would be your best bet. He's out of California somewhere but has slowed down due to some health issues. This would be your best option. A poster on the HK forums named Docrak took some of these CJS pads to modify and actually made several that he sold till the second invasion of Iraq happened and he got tied up doing contract work for Uncle Sam. Either the CJS or the Docrak pads hold 4-5 rounds in 45acp. This is all I run on mine and I can get 17+1 for my USP which I don't mind so much since I love this gun. Good luck tracking down CJS.

Racine

• 1 month later...

Here's a file I found after some digging. When CJS stopped making these pads Docrak stepped up and improved on the design to eliminate the powertool look. Oopss, seems I can't load this file here. email me a 3gfun@cableone.net if you want it and I'll forward it to you.

Edited by racine

• 3 months later...

I've been playing around with some basepads for a Mark 23. The Arredondo extension for the .45 glock will work but I don't think it will fit the gauge without a bit of work. The Taylor Freelance .45 Glock pads will fit. There is some play and I'm planning on tinkering with it a bit more but they should work. They fit the sides well but front to back there is a lot of play. With a dawson +1 follower I can get 17 with the Taylor Freelance pad. I will update with more information when I get a chance to test the function of this combination. Arredondo pads for para mags are too short front to back. Dawson base pads will not fit without some serious dremel time.

Dangucci, keep me posted on the Taylor Freelances with the Dawson followers. Getting 17 is pretty good (+1 in the pipe). One nice trait of the HK 45 mags are that they are tough and ultra reliable if you have good springs. My experience with them though is that they are most reliable with 200gr RN bullets as 230gr bullets get a bit heavy and you will need to keep your mags clean and well lubed. Shoot well!

• 7 months later...

After playing around with modifying some different basepads the best combination I found was the Arredondo STI extensions with the Dawson follower and STI magazine spring. I am able to get 16 rounds into it and it is still reloadable.

I have only put about 200 rounds through this magazine combination but so far no jams. I only used round nose bullets at the range. Round nose bullets seem to be easier to load and cycle with the basepads. I had some semi wadcutters that would start to bind a little in the bottom of the magazine when its fully loaded. The SWC's might work if they are loaded shorter than what I was using, they have an OAL of 1.275 because that is the length that cycles reliably in my Springfield 1911.

I had to angle the top front edge of the basepad so it would fit into the Mark 23 but I don't think it would be necessary for a USP45. I also had to relieve the inside top edges a little to get the basepads to seat all the way onto the magazine tube. An easy fix with a couple minutes and a Dremmel. Here are some pictures.

post-20685-014532300 1295886763_thumb.jp

post-20685-007530900 1295886783_thumb.jp

post-20685-011541500 1295886805_thumb.jp