Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Draw

jkatz44

I have watched myself in the mirror many times to try and see exactly what my weak hand is doing (during the initial movements of the draw)....I have noticed that if I start with my weak hand resting on one of my mags (I wear my mag pouches way towards the front of my waist, as well as my holster), it seems to track with my strong hand better....this way it seems that they are both starting (during the draw) on roughly the same planes...and I try to bring them together at my bodies strongest chakra point (just above the belly button) as if I was going to catch a stream of falling liquid.....i.e. hands cupped....seems to work for me, and it's not something I had to think about too much or "work" on....I just watched myself in the mirror and noticed that that was what my body wanted to do....and went with that....I think someone mentioned earlier about clapping your hands with your eyes closed, and then seeing where they meet....that is a great way to think of it...the best golfers tend to develop a swing that is natural to their bodies instinctive motions...

Thanks for all of your different opinions. I think I was worrying about it too much. I was basically doing the same things that you were telling me to do. lol :roflol:

I have watched myself in the mirror many times to try and see exactly what my weak hand is doing (during the initial movements of the draw)....I have noticed that if I start with my weak hand resting on one of my mags (I wear my mag pouches way towards the front of my waist, as well as my holster), it seems to track with my strong hand better....this way it seems that they are both starting (during the draw) on roughly the same planes...and I try to bring them together at my bodies strongest chakra point (just above the belly button) as if I was going to catch a stream of falling liquid.....i.e. hands cupped....seems to work for me, and it's not something I had to think about too much or "work" on....I just watched myself in the mirror and noticed that that was what my body wanted to do....and went with that....I think someone mentioned earlier about clapping your hands with your eyes closed, and then seeing where they meet....that is a great way to think of it...the best golfers tend to develop a swing that is natural to their bodies instinctive motions...

Thanks for all of your different opinions. I think I was worrying about it too much. I was basically doing the same things that you were telling me to do. lol :roflol:

I think we often look for solutions to problems that don't exist...rather than practicing what nature intends us to do, we get caught up in how to do it....better to practice what comes natural to YOU...all opinion and placebo beyond that....but hey I can't shoot the door off a barn from 2 feet away with a load of bird shot....so don't listen to me....listen to that inner voice of yours....99% of the time it's right on the money

I think we often look for solutions to problems that don't exist...rather than practicing what nature intends us to do, we get caught up in how to do it....better to practice what comes natural to YOU...all opinion and placebo beyond that....but hey I can't shoot the door off a barn from 2 feet away with a load of bird shot....so don't listen to me....listen to that inner voice of yours....99% of the time it's right on the money

Exactly! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent some time with a friend working on my draw. One of the things he noticed was I was mating the hands higher on the chest than he would like. He had me practice bring my weak hand over closer the the gun and lower. Get both hand on the gun sooner. It was very odd at first. But what it did was establish a firm grip on the gun sooner. I am still working on it.

Again the weak hand drives the draw speed for almost everyone.

I have spent some time with a friend working on my draw. One of the things he noticed was I was mating the hands higher on the chest than he would like. He had me practice bring my weak hand over closer the the gun and lower. Get both hand on the gun sooner. It was very odd at first. But what it did was establish a firm grip on the gun sooner. I am still working on it.

Again the weak hand drives the draw speed for almost everyone.

I will try this!

Thanks! :cheers:

I learned to draw Iso about 20 years ago. I learned it in stages (steps), but was slow, because I was mentally "stopping" at each stage, i.e. consciously thinking about where the weak hand went before the grip, punching out, proper sight picture, good trigger break, etc.

I didn't get fast until the only thing on my mind was to engage the target when the buzzer went off. Once the memory was ingrained in the muscles, I was many times faster just "zoning" the draw.

There was never any video of my draw (that I'm aware of), so as far as I know I may have looked "correct" or just plain goofy doing it, but my rounds were getting on target fast; that was the goal.

No points off for incorrect weak hand placement! :cheers:

Well, I just reviewed my videos from yesterday. Holy Moly. I was able to actually see my problems. First thing I was able to see was my weak hand was slow. Next, the weak hand went up rather than over. So I went up then over. Next was the height where the weak hand engaged the gun.

So now my goals are to move my weak hand faster, lower and towards the right side. I want to engage the gun sooner.

Well, I just reviewed my videos from yesterday. Holy Moly. I was able to actually see my problems. First thing I was able to see was my weak hand was slow. Next, the weak hand went up rather than over. So I went up then over. Next was the height where the weak hand engaged the gun.

So now my goals are to move my weak hand faster, lower and towards the right side. I want to engage the gun sooner.

This is why I like to record me shooting a match. It allows you to recognize your mistakes and fix them before you develop bad habits. I think this is the greatest tool. :cheers: :cheers: