Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

380 auto / WST

ryan45kim

Winchester has never published data using WST for 9mm and smaller cartridges for some reason. I figured since it was such a fast burning powder and they didn't like the idea of using it in cases with such a small volume and since they have data for W231 they really didn't need another fast burning powder for load data.

I use WST for about all my lead reloads so when I wanted to use it for my 9mm with lead bullets I basically extrapolated data and worked up a load. I wasn't trying to push anything just find a nice load.

Neal in AZ

Has anyone used WST to load 380 auto? I’m going to start loading 380 and have a good bit of WST and WSF I’m thinking that the WST will give better results. I’m just looking to duplicate a standard 95 grain FMJ load.

I have done a little work with WST in .380acp. It hits max fairly quick. I maxed out at 3 grains WST under Berry's PFNHB 100grain. It reached an ave. of 751 fps. Out of a KT P3AT. I did run 3.4 grain and got 879 ave fps, but depending on the brass I was getting guppies. Guppies were in R-P brass, others seemed fine.

btw: I do use Solo 1000 in the .380 with good results.

Happy shooting :cheers:

Edited by Apiarian