Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plumbing question

I'm buying a house that I intend to rent out for a while and it has a well. Today I had the power turned on and I know the well pump is working because I had to fix a leak (like a geyser) in a pipe that I think I ran over with my tractor(oops). The pipe was next to well and the well is probaby 100 feet from the house. I don't have water at the house though. This house is on a crawl space. My question is: Is there a shutoff valve under the house somewhere? I was briefly under the house today to remove a deceased racoon and I don't know where the water comes into the house. Thanks for your help.

Around here ...we use a submersible pump to feed a storage tank

Then a pressure pump and bladder tank to feed the house

It is possible to use a pressure switch on a sub pump...and feed direct to the house,if its very close

I suspect you would have a valve in the feed line where it enters the house.

Its kinda normal for this to feed to where your hot water heater is.

Jim

<_< The seller should tell you ware the shut -off is, and all the breakers should be labeled for the power. The Septic lid should be located and the # of the service co that did the last septic cleaned/pumped-out. And the seller should point out the location of the drain pipes and Clean-out pipes for the septic.

If the rel-estate guy gives you any problems about getting the information. Warn them that you could end up driving your tractor over the septic and have the tractor fall in /break through the top.

Liability for the agent if he does not find out

Around here ...we use a submersible pump to feed a storage tank

Then a pressure pump and bladder tank to feed the house

It is possible to use a pressure switch on a sub pump...and feed direct to the house,if its very close

I suspect you would have a valve in the feed line where it enters the house.

Its kinda normal for this to feed to where your hot water heater is.

Jim

I do have a valve on the line coming into the hot water heater. It feels like it's binding when I open/close it. Do you think this is the main shutoff for the house?

so you should have a well;a pump,a shutoff valve,a bladder tank line going to the house,,220 volt switch to kill the pump--if you have a tank you must have a shut off valve to drain tank to replace it in case the bladder has a hole in it--thats how I installed them well-pump-valve-- tank---pipe to house-second valve under house if you want it,,done :roflol:

Yes, if the pump drained when you hit the line. But if you ran over the line with a tractor and had a geyser-it may be only a irrigation line. Pump to well or lake line just ooze when they break because there is no pressure. My pump in NH needed priming every time we turned it on from the winter-old pump. My pump in VA is real deep-approximately 4 feet down in the lower part of house (under the ground level-where the line comes in from well) only needs priming when the whole system drains-newer pump with bladder valve. If it makes a lot of noise when you turn it on-it needs priming. If not and you get water-good to go. Have fun!

Just an update. The previous owner had installed an inline filter system under the house with valves before and after the filter. The instant I opened these valves the water was flowing freely. That is, until the hot water heater split wide open from top to bottom :surprise: . Oh well I figured it would need a new one anyway. Thanks for the help guys. Have a great Thanksgiving!