Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Grip-safety For Sv Fame?

TDean

I bought the STI grip-safety because Brownells doesn't carry SV.

The aesthetics are a little off and I'm wondering if the SV safety is a better choice for an SV frame.....or are they exactly the same?

The SV is different. The STI has those dished-out sides in the beavertail. After a year with an Ed Brown beavertailed gun, my new gun with the STI was cutting my hand. I had to have my gunsmith put in an Ed Brown Memory Groove. They rule; real high hand position and it doesn't let the slide cut my hand.

I'll agree with Erik that the SV are different than the STI. However, an SV grip safety looks remarkably like an Ed Brown Memory Groove, and the SV thumb safety prior to the new locking design looked a lot like an Ed Brown as well.

And of course Brownells does carry Brown parts. . .

TDEAN- I looked at Ed Brown's site. The SV grip safety looks exactly like the Brown. SV was using Ed's thumb safetys untill they had too many fall apart, then they engineered their own. I don't know if they need to do any work to get them to fit the frame, but the beavertail fits perfectly in the SV frame when they ship. I would order the Ed Brown and it will likely drop into the SV frame.

Excellent responses!

The STI dropped in, but the countours of the frame didn't perfectly match-up with the contours of the safety. I'll exchange it for the Ed Brown mem-groove.

Thanks again.

AFAIK, that's part of why we sign over our paychecks to gunsmiths. The smith blends the beavertail grip safety to the frame.

I knew you were going to say that. :P

I have a dremel tool dammit! ;)

True...true...

Hey, did you also pick up a Caspian slide at the A2 table?

I'm debating on whether I want to fit that thing to my SV standard length frame unless I have someone mill the stirrup-cuts and remove the inscriptions "Caspian Desert Classic 2003"