Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Picking 3-Gun Rifle

gng4life

I would like everyone's opinion on the following:

I plan on purchasing an entry level rifle soon, within a week or two. I plan to shoot it for 3-Gun and side matches, etc. I am looking at the STI Competition model since I like STI (have three of their pistols), it has a 1:8 twist, JP trigger, etc, etc for about $1100.

Recently, I shot a buddies SIG 556 and absolutely loved it! It felt better (comfortable and softer) than my Colt AR-15 or my Olympic. I am looking at maybe getting one of these but I'm worried about the availability of parts, after-market upgrades, etc. I can get one of these for about $1250.

Yeah, I know I can go with a JP and I do plan to but it takes about nine months now to get one. I want an entry level rifle now and will get in line for a JP soon.

So...what is your opinion, should I go with the STI or SIG?

Thanks for all your input and opinions!

Edited by gng4life

You already have a Colt and an Olympic..?

Shoot one of those. :)

The Colt is an older A1 that is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. The Olympic is one of the original pre-ban models that are not produced anymore so I want to keep that in good shape too. Just looking for a quick rifle to pick up, throw on some optics, and be somewhat ready for some range time and matches. Thanks for the comment!

Stick with AR platform, and try to pick one that supports the sport, DPMS,JP,LaRue,Firebird,SunDevil,Sabre,etc.

Trapr

Doesn't STI support the sport? I know in USPSA, they are heavy supporters at the matches and with teams. My favorite is the JP but the wait time will kill me so I will save that for later and pick up something now in the 1100-1200 price range. Thanks for the comment!

Also, Erik Lund (Bear1142 here on the forum) has just started shooting a 556 for Team SIG. You might just send him a PM, he knows his stuff and wouldn't be shooting one if he didn't think he could win with it.

Stick with AR platform, and try to pick one that supports the sport, DPMS,JP,LaRue,Firebird,SunDevil,Sabre,etc.

Trapr

Doesn't STI support the sport? I know in USPSA, they are heavy supporters at the matches and with teams. My favorite is the JP but the wait time will kill me so I will save that for later and pick up something now in the 1100-1200 price range. Thanks for the comment!

STI is a huge supporter of our sport and you will be happy with what they sell or Dave Skinner will stand behind it like no other.

STI has been producing ARs about a year since their corporate reputation is to get it right before it goes out the door to the customer. Since they are relatively new to the AR market, do not beat anyone up too bad for failing to mention them as a possible choice.

Also, Erik Lund (Bear1142 here on the forum) has just started shooting a 556 for Team SIG. You might just send him a PM, he knows his stuff and wouldn't be shooting one if he didn't think he could win with it.

Thanks a ton, I'll see if I can get his input also. Appreciate the comment!