Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sprinco guide rod

Limited Custom

Have anyone used the Sprinco Recoil Management :o

Can it really help to soften the recoil :unsure:

I have used it a lot and really like it. I thought the difference in perceived recoil would be bigger, but there are several reasons to buy it.

I am convinced it helps saving your frame. I bought it because I wanted some sort of buffer system.

You can run a really light recoil spring without getting violent slide to frame battering.

And is one well made gun part that looks and feels like all gun parts could. The original looks like it belongs in a soft air gun or something……

I have used it a lot and really like it. I thought the difference in perceived recoil would be bigger, but there are several reasons to buy it.

I am convinced it helps saving your frame. I bought it because I wanted some sort of buffer system.

You can run a really light recoil spring without getting violent slide to frame battering.

And is one well made gun part that looks and feels like all gun parts could. The original looks like it belongs in a soft air gun or something……

If I'm using a 10 lb recoil spring in my 38 Super without the Sprinco, which one can I use with the Sprinco installed?

I think Eric uses a 12lb with a couple of coils cut off

Found Eric's set up on Global Village:

Open V12

Sprinco Open short

11 Lbs Wolff Recoil Spring ( 3 coils off )

Open V8

Sprinco Regular

11lbs Wolff Recoil Spring

Limited HC

177 PF with 180 grains Armscor Bullets

Sprinco Gold Custom HC

12 lbs Wolff Recoil Spring

Open V8 steel challenge load

Regular factory rod

9lbs Wolff Recoil Spring ( 2 coils off )

If I'm using a 10 lb recoil spring in my 38 Super without the Sprinco, which one can I use with the Sprinco installed?

...............I don’t know if it is possible to say exactly how light you can go with a sprinco installed, but lighter. This is because you get the same effect as if you use a spring with variable rate. It helps to cushion the last half inch of the travel but also gives the slide more speed when it returns to battery.

Another question: How light do you what to go? I am not so sure that lighter is always better. I think it is more a question of balancing the gun. The CZ design also has a lighter slide than the 1911 design and for that reason needs a heavier spring in my opinion. If you look at the how far in throws your brass it gives a certain indication....

...............I don’t know if it is possible to say exactly how light you can go with a sprinco installed, but lighter. This is because you get the same effect as if you use a spring with variable rate. It helps to cushion the last half inch of the travel but also gives the slide more speed when it returns to battery.

Another question: How light do you what to go? I am not so sure that lighter is always better. I think it is more a question of balancing the gun. The CZ design also has a lighter slide than the 1911 design and for that reason needs a heavier spring in my opinion. If you look at the how far in throws your brass it gives a certain indication....

Thank you for the input!

In terms of how light I want to go - to be honest: I have no idea! I just want the gun to be reliable and soft to shoot - no surprise :rolleyes:

I have tried a 10 lb recoil spring both with and without the Sprinco installed, and I actually felt the gun was flipping more with the Sprinco - a little disappointing...

How far do you think the brass should be thrown to give me a good indication?

Thank you for the input!

In terms of how light I want to go - to be honest: I have no idea! I just want the gun to be reliable and soft to shoot - no surprise :rolleyes:

I have tried a 10 lb recoil spring both with and without the Sprinco installed, and I actually felt the gun was flipping more with the Sprinco - a little disappointing...

How far do you think the brass should be thrown to give me a good indication?

First, given the same spring weight, a Sprinco will make the ejection less positive. A healthy tanfo will in general throw brass 9-12 feet, easily. For an open gun maybe less. My experience is from uncomped limited guns.

The main goal has to be to make the gun balance well, make it return to the same point after every shot. Too heavy spring will make the muzzle dip when the gun return to battery. Too light will ruin the gun and in my opinion make the gun flip more caused by the slide hitting the frame to fast.

Some people seam to believe that the lighter the spring the less recoil. I don’t think so, but I think that with a light spring the slide looses a lot of its energy from striping a round from the magazine and cambering it. The gun then closes more gently and the sights gets easier to pick up….hence the gun gets easier to shoot fast and accurately, which is what it is all about.