Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Broken Benellis!

Jesse Tischauser

Well guys, I took your advice, drank the kool aid, and bought not one but two Benellis. My M1 shoots slugs about 10-18" low and left at 50-100 yds. My M2 just decided that it doesn't like to hold rounds in the magazine. Both guns were bought use off of the classifieds on this forum. So did I just buy abunch of lemons or are Benellis really as good as you say?

By the way Benelli said they would take my entire M1, shoot it, and replace the barrel if it is indeed defective. I still have to pay for shipping, FFL fees and waste a bunch if my time.

I think the M2 needs the little latch that holds the shells in replaced. It looks rounded/worn. The latch on the M2 is different than on my M1. Has anyone else had issues with this?

I'm just glad I bought two guns so that I could make one that works! I have two local matches this weekend. Match #1 is in the books (w/a 1st place finish) and frankenbenelli M1/2 ran great for the 30+ rounds from 10 shooters each that borrowed it.

Edited by jtischauser

This is totally impossible !! :roflol:

The one that does not shoot straight, have you tried to shoot it with the barrel

clamp taken off ?

Your probably right on the M2...

Ask Kurt, he'll know how to fix em, I mean adjust them, thats all they could need ..

Edited by P.Pres

Jessie...you have my # all you need to do is call. The barrel we can't do anything about, BUT the shell cut off...YES! Now listen carefully, for tomorrow take the M2 barrel and put it on the M1 just like we did when we figured out the barrel was bad and shoot tomorrow. I will be back around the 10th of Decmber or so and we can do the rest. Remeber, if you have been in the shop, you got buddy rights...CALL! KurtM

Jesse, you might be better off sending those Benny's to me (or I'll pick em up at the HPSC). Sounds like you don't have very good luck. I hear some of those guys that shoot in OK have over 100k rounds on their Benny's... Maybe your new ones are just worn out :unsure:

:)

Jessie, who ever had the M2 bent the shell cut off so it would be easier to load...wrong way to go but there it is, now we can rebend it and do it right in about the time it takes to down a beer or two...Remember NO 3.2 allowed in the shop!

Also make sure the roll pin that holds the shell cutoff in, isn't broken..I have seen that before also. KurtM

I don't know guys. That new Mossberg looks pretty tempting right now. I could buy 6-8 of them if I sold the benellis.

Those Benellis are junk, I'll take em for 200 a piece, I could use them for parts or something and you can get a new mooseborge !! :P

Edited by P.Pres

The one that does not shoot straight, have you tried to shoot it with the barrel

clamp taken off ?

Ask Kurt, he'll know how to fix em, I mean adjust them, thats all they could need ..

We (Kurt, Trapr) tried shooting them too and came to the conclusion that the choke tubes must be threaded slightly off center. It got better when we tried shooting it without chokes but didn't completely solve the problem. I am going to pattern the gun with shot before I send it to Benelli just to see how that looks too.

clamp taken off ?

We (Kurt, Trapr) tried shooting them too and came to the conclusion that the choke tubes must be threaded slightly off center. It got better when we tried shooting it without chokes but didn't completely solve the problem. I am going to pattern the gun with shot before I send it to Benelli just to see how that looks too.

Choke tube ?? :surprise: Ouch !! I wonder if you could just send them the barrel by itself after patterning and save

everyone some money ?? Poor Luigi, they must have ran out of spaghetti at the factory that day !!

If you already have Kurtelli involved, what else could we possibly tell you ?? :D You've got "the man" on the job !!

Jesse, you can send it down here to me, with Cyrwus this weekend and I'll see what I can do about the shell catch, mine did the same thing at a match and I fixed it on the spot. i should be able to figure it out and give right back to him to take home.

Trapr

Well guys, I took your advice, drank the kool aid, and bought not one but two Benellis. My M1 shoots slugs about 10-18" low and left at 50-100 yds. My M2 just decided that it doesn't like to hold rounds in the magazine. Both guns were bought use off of the classifieds on this forum. So did I just buy abunch of lemons or are Benellis really as good as you say?

By the way Benelli said they would take my entire M1, shoot it, and replace the barrel if it is indeed defective. I still have to pay for shipping, FFL fees and waste a bunch if my time.

I think the M2 needs the little latch that holds the shells in replaced. It looks rounded/worn. The latch on the M2 is different than on my M1. Has anyone else had issues with this?

I'm just glad I bought two guns so that I could make one that works! I have two local matches this weekend. Match #1 is in the books (w/a 1st place finish) and frankenbenelli M1/2 ran great for the 30+ rounds from 10 shooters each that borrowed it.

Well, in my experience, treat them like a custom 2011. When they work, they work FANTASTIC. When they don't, you'll pull your hair out trying to get it to run. One thing I've learned is that everything on the benelli works for a reason and changing one thing may cause something else to fail.

My M1 Super 90 will shoot a 12" group at 25 yards with Rem Reduced recoil slugs. But in order to hit the target I have to aim at the lower left corner of a USPSA metric target just to make it on to paper. And I have rifle sights on a 21" barrel. With Winchester low recoil slugs, 25% of my shots miss the target completely. Maybe 25% make it to the A zone. The rests is somewhere else on paper and not in the A zone ... unless it's the head A zone. 25 yards with POA center of mass.

However, when I switch my load to Fiocci Low Recoil slugs, POA = POI out to 30 yards. Usually 3 of 5 shots are touching. Not uncommon to get 5 of 5 to touch. All shots off hand. All shots in the A zone. I repeated this grouping today I had bought 15 boxes yesterday at my local gun store.

My point is to try different loads if you can find them and see how they work. You may have to replace the recoil spring with a wolff reduced power recoil spring so that the lighter loads will function in the inertia system.

The benelli carrier latch between the M1 and M2 should be the same. Here is brownells listing: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6253/Pr...t/CARRIER_LATCH if you get it dont forget the get the carrier latch pin too (maybe get 2). I had to replace mine and then "bend" it to make it work.

I asked our clubs sporting clays instructor yesterday about Tac Shotguns and zeroing barrels. Am concerened about mine and short range small targets. He said in extreme off shooting cases you can bend a shotgun barrel, they do it all the time. But most "not shooting straight" is due to stock fit and can be fixed with stick on cheek pieces short term and a fitted or adjustable stock long term.

His advice was shotguns have a front sight, the rear sight is your eye. How the eye lines up when mounting the gun is how you adjust zero.

Boats

I asked our clubs sporting clays instructor yesterday about Tac Shotguns and zeroing barrels. Am concerened about mine and short range small targets. He said in extreme off shooting cases you can bend a shotgun barrel, they do it all the time. But most "not shooting straight" is due to stock fit and can be fixed with stick on cheek pieces short term and a fitted or adjustable stock long term.

His advice was shotguns have a front sight, the rear sight is your eye. How the eye lines up when mounting the gun is how you adjust zero.

Boats

I understand exactly what your instructor is saying. Unfortunately this gun would need the front sight on the underside of the barrel. We installed a sweet little XS sight systems rear v notch sight that allowed us to cure the left/right alignment. I have to hold over about 18" at 100 yds to hit an IPSC target.

We tried fiochi reduced recoil, Remington Sluggers, and I think some federal slugs all with the same results.

Jessie...you have my # all you need to do is call. The barrel we can't do anything about, BUT the shell cut off...YES! Now listen carefully, for tomorrow take the M2 barrel and put it on the M1 just like we did when we figured out the barrel was bad and shoot tomorrow. I will be back around the 10th of Decmber or so and we can do the rest. Remeber, if you have been in the shop, you got buddy rights...CALL! KurtM

Thanks Kurt! I figured you'd help me out for a small fee (nothing below 6 pt). I just felt like stirring some Shi...Stuff up last night. I had a few beers in me;).

Don't get me wrong here fellas. I am still bleeding spagetti. I just thought Id throw out these issues to help anyone else that may see something similar in the future.

If it's low lower front sight will cure it. Since the sight radius is so short it does not take a lot of sight change to move 12 inches. From memory only 36 inch sight radius it takes .010 inch to move 1 MOA if that slug barrel has a 18 inch radius that's half so guessing again 1 MOA probably .005 18 inches at 100 is 18 MOA

I have set up quite a few rifles with Iron sights, You can figure the height by calculation but easiest way is to find some sort of plastic packaging like the ring that holds a 6 pack of soft drinks together. Duct tape it to the barrel make a temporary sight and zero the gun cutting it down as you go. Finished measure it with a dial caliper and you know what you need for a permanent sight. That's if you can take the factory sight off.

That low sounds like a candidate for bending though. Shotgun smiths do it with a mandrel that fits in the muzzle and a hammer. Best not to watch I am told.

Boats

Edited by Boats