Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J Frame Hammer bob technique

Canuck223

So it looks like my Christmas present this year is a used Model 37.

As good luck and pack-rat tendancys allow, I just happen to have a brand new hammer and rebound slide for it.

My plan was to slick up the redound slide and bob the hammer on the replacement parts, leaving the origionals alone.

Anyone have a favoured method for bobbing the hammer? I was planning on doing the coarse work with a Dremell cut off wheel and finish with abrasive stones.

(Yes Pat, I gots me a Dremel and now I'z a gumsmith)

That's how I did mine as well. If you have a hammer with the serrations on it, I cut mine until just a bit of the middle, frontmost serration is still visible. Accomplishes the purpose with no problems.

Mine got bobbed a different way...

I had loaned my M36 to my future wife and it rode in her purse for a while. One day she showed it to me and the hammer spur had broken off. She had no idea how it happened. I then figured "what the hell" and cleaned up the break at the grinder. Worked fine but I do not recommend the process. :blush:

Mine got bobbed a different way...

I had loaned my M36 to my future wife and it rode in her purse for a while. One day she showed it to me and the hammer spur had broken off. She had no idea how it happened. I then figured "what the hell" and cleaned up the break at the grinder. Worked fine but I do not recommend the process. :blush:

There's a video by Larry Potterfield over on Midway USA that shows how Larry did it. He cut it off close with a hacksaw, used a Dremel to smooth things up, and then polished it.