Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new reloader (650)

New reloader and new 650 owner here. I've been setting up the machine for the last week and finally got around to loading some rounds (.223, 55gr, 21.3 gr IMR 3031) yesterday. I loaded 10 of each by OAL (2.220, 2.230, 2.240, and 2.250). Haven't shot them yet though. I've run across a few snags and have some questions...

1) I know Dillon doesn't recommend extruded "stick" powders like 3031, but it's all I could get my hands on at the moment. The powder drop station has been very clunky (usually 1 big clunk) when I raise the shellplate. It's very smooth when I run it without powder (like when I was setting it up), so I'm assuming this is because of the particular type of powder I'm using. Is this assumption correct? On a side note, the powder drop seems to be very consistent with 3031, despite the frequent clunk. I'm targeting 21.3 gr of 3031 and only seem to see about .1 to .2 grs of variance.

2) I have a prep tool head with the Dillon trimmer. I've read that some of you have the sizing die in station 1 and then "just" trim afterwards. How exactly do you setup the size/trim die so that it doesn't interfere with the sizing done in station 1? If I raise the shellplate with brass and turn the size/trim die down until it stops, the mouth of the brass doesn't extend far enough past the flat area of the die for the trimmer to be able to do its job, even with the longest pieces of brass (greater than 1.760). Should I just acquire a neck sizer and throw it in after the size/trim die?

3) When I gauge my sized/trimmed rounds with the Dillon case gauge, the base of the case checks out fine, but the mouth is always below the low step (trimmed to 1.750). Should I worry?

4) What do you guys use to clean the dies? Chamber brush/CLP?

-climber

Climber,

Welcome to the forums!

1st, there may be answers to your questions already discussed on this forum, try the search function, its quite powerful!

1. Take the dillon powder dropper apart, and polish everything that moves (with a dremmel and CLOTH polish wheel, maybe a bit of rouge but be careful not to take material off with it) wherever it touches something else, espcially the powder bar. a .1 to .2 gn variance is not acceptable, max is .1 in my book.

2. sizing/decaper in #1, trimmer after that (not sure how much room there is on a 650 for putting it in #2, I use a 1050) is correct. if you are using military brass you will need to deswage the primer pocket by hand. trim length should be 1.75. you should be able to adjust the trim die down to the proper length after getting the size die correct. (be careful, a tiny adjustment goes a long way!!!) do final adjustments on all dies with all stations populated. I have a body die after everything (before loading) to bump/sharpen the inside corner of the neck, helps with at least one AR I have.

3. guaging brass; it should be inbetween the steps on the base of the brass, AND at the neck. if the neck/mouth is a bit short, then probably your sizing die is not down far enough.

4. clean the dies? who does that? :) seriously, I wipe them off when I change heads, thats about it...

keep at it, it takes a bit of fussing to get things all in tune...

jj

CLIMBER,

The "clunk" is probably the powder bar shearing through a powder granule. This is typical with extruded powders. Be sure the blue wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe rod is tight enough to fully retract the powder bar at the end of the upstroke.

On the trimmer, we usually run it at station 4, so the primer feed doesn't interfere with mounting. Be sure you have lubed the cases. Correctly adjusted, at least .040-.050" of the case neck is visible through the brass chip exhaust port in the die. Make sure the cutter blade is not contacting the inside of the trim die, as the carbide blade will chip. Please feel free to phone us when you can be in front of the machine for assistance, we are here to help you. :cheers: