Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working On Thanksgiving Day

glockster96

During my long stretch on-the-air in radio, I worked EVERY holiday EVERY year--regardless. Sometimes on Thanksgiving, however, some of my bosses brought in the full turkey dinner thing for us. Now THAT was kinda nice. :D

When I finally got OUT of radio, though, I hardly knew what to do with myself on holidays. I just wasn't used to being "off" for the day! :huh:

The thing of that was, I never developed a sense of what a "holiday" was... and still have no idea how it's supposed to feel. It's "just another day" to me most of the time...... :huh:

Now, I'd shut up and go shooting but the range is closed for two days! :angry:

Most people that have to work holidays get at least time and a half, if not double or triple time. if my department was open on major holidays I would be the first to sign up. I have firends in the grocery indusdustry and they actually fight over who works on the holidays because they pay triple time. But as Erik said be thankfull you have a job. Personally I hate family gatherings. They usually end up with a bunch bickering and fighting. Plus the prep and cleanup.... Forget that. THats why I'm writing this postand in the back room hiding from the rest of my family. :ph34r:

In the military, you don't get paid extra for working any "extra" hours. The old standard Intel schedule worked out to 12 8-hour days (four days, four swings, four nights), then 3 days off. No holidays, no down days, nothing. Just 12 and 3 for years on end. And of course all the "dayshop" management folks would have mandatory meetings during what was nominally the shiftworker's sleep time. All that fun for quite the princely paycheck, too. I'm much happier as a fat and lazy management type ;)

Working on holidays sucks. Hope the time went fast!

Alex

Occasionally, in very large markets, unions are effective as it applies to Radio--but in my experience it was rare. In smaller markets you can forget about union scale; employers think they're doing you a favor by offering minimum wage. I kid you not.

Yeah, yeah, my heart bleeds for you, not only do I end up working Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New years.

But I also have to work EVERY FREAKIN WEEKEND OF THE YEAR. Unless I want to burn one of my too few vacation days.

How's that for suck?

Travis F.

Erik,

No need for cover, I am fairly compensated for the inconvenience. So I probably shouldn't whine. But I still do. WAAAA!

It sure would be nice to have a weekend off even just a few times a year.

Travis F.

Sig Lady, Ah yes, the glories of working radio. Like being the new guy at every station you show up at, and getting the worst shift, the worst studio and the bitchiest client to do production work for. although my stint at a country station was quite fun. All the lonely women called to invite me over after I finished the 10-2 (AM) or 2-6 (AM) shifts.

Then there was the holiday party. They held a banquet for Secretaries Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, and for a single guy like I was then, it was heaven.

This Thanksgiving I drove to New Jersey to see my in-laws, and ended up installing a linoleum floor in their finished basement. (Hey, they're in their 80's)