Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with 650

I was loading some ammo now to chrono for tomorrow and found that as I was loading the machine seem to becoming tighter and tigher!

I adjusted the grub screw and shell plate bolt but this did not solve the problem. I then removed the shell plate to ensure that the shell plate was not causing it to jam. It can only be the shell carrier or the priming unit. ANy help as to what to look out for? I also found trhat the pin that rotates the priming plate is not turning it. ANy ideas how to fix this....

I had this problem on Sunday - the primer plate was not advancing, causing the whole thing to jam up and stop the handle from moving. I removed the whole priming system (put tape over the hole where you add primers to keep from spilling them), and removed the primer plate to make sure nothing was stuck under there. Turns out I had bent the primer index arm so much that it would not fully advance the plate. I didn't realize this until I found a spare index arm in my handy-dandy spare parts kit and noticed how badly bent the original was. Replaced the arm and the spring for good measure, made sure that it advanced freely before putting it all back together and it's all good now.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Does the machine bind on the up or down stroke of the handle? If on the downstroke it is more likely in the primer feed, if on the upstroke is the shellplate bolt tightening. Once the shellplate is off it's easy to remove the primer feed and see if the handle effort decreases.

Does the machine bind on the up or down stroke of the handle? If on the downstroke it is more likely in the primer feed, if on the upstroke is the shellplate bolt tightening. Once the shellplate is off it's easy to remove the primer feed and see if the handle effort decreases.

@ dillon - I removed the shellplate bolt and it is still binding. I need to go and purchase some hex keys as I do not have the size to remove the primer feed. Will provide feedback later today....

@ thegirl - THanks will keep an eye out for that.

I stripped the machine completely, cleaned it and lubed the shaft with 5w-30 synthetic oil. Seems to be much better now except when the handle is at the primer insert position (all the way up) it doesnt move easily back to the start position. NOrmally, if I leave the handle at the top the handle would slip into position...

If that made sense can anyone help?

• 11 months later...

You should squirt some grease into the lube holes of the frame and crank to grease the pivot pins. Might also be a good idea to remove the primer seating punch assembly and soak it in some solvent, then push it in a few times to vent out any debris.

I tried all the usual solutions of taking apart, cleaning, oil on the ram, etc. Nothing cured the problem. When I loosened the lock nuts everything freed up. I even bought a special grease gun with a needle attachment and lubed until grease exited out around the end of the pins, ram was still stiff to move.

Again loosening the lock nuts on my 650 solved my problem.