Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stephen King, Wolves Of The Calla

Okay, a question for those of you who've been reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I just finished reading the fifth book, Wolves of the Calla. At the end of the second or third book, the four gunslingers have five guns. Roland, having lost the first two fingers of his right hand, carries only one of the pair of guns he's worn for decades, the left. Eddie Dean carries the other, on his right. Jake Chambers carries the "Ruger .44 auto" he stole from his father's desk drawer in 1977. (And who knows, considering this is a tale of parallel worlds, maybe in his where/when there is such a thing). And Susannah Dean carries two guns, .38 revolvers in police duty rigs that Roland took off two New York cops.

My question is about the fact that, in the fifth book, they only have three guns, the .38s are gone and Susannah travels unarmed. What the hell? Am I missing something? I think I'd remember if she'd lost the guns in a previous book. Obviously, King wanted her unarmed so she'd have a motivation to learn to throw Riza's plates, but the sudden, unexplained disapperance of her guns strikes me as a major inconsistency in the story line. Am I forgetting something here?

• 1 month later...

Duane,

i just completed the first four volumes (on tape). i believe you're mistaken about the police officers .38 special revolvers, they never made the trip through the doorway. roland had the bullets for his gun and the keflex and that was all.

roland carries only one of his guns on his left side. suzanna carries his other one. eddy dean carries the ruger. jake carries nothing.

they do swap guns however, because at the end of wizard and glass roland uses the ruger to shoot at walter (flag) because that gun was not of the same world.

hope this helps.

lynn

i doubt you not, gunslinger. i've only cracked the door of the wolves. when is a door not a door? duane the pain....just kidding. seriously, i just completed the first four volumes again, and i think this is one of those slips of continuity.

lynn

rhino,

you should start from the begining, this story rivals the lord of the rings in length. wait, this will be about twice as long.

the books go like this:

the gunslinger

the drawing of the three

the waste lands

wizard and glass

wolves of the calla

then two more volumns, finished, for the next two years.

i think stephen king started this series back in 1976. he just finished the series this year. i guess he got sidetracked writing the other 48 books. :D

if you can, get the books on audio tape or cd. you can listen in you car on the way to work or the range. that's what i do. stephen king reads the first three books, and he is a very good reader.

lynn

• 4 weeks later...