Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod in XDM .40?

FLgrl

Hello all. New to the forums here. I recently bought a new XDM .40 (hubby talked me into the .40). Had Springer do the trigger, plus some new sights and well.... first few shots I take are great, the rest are downhill. The recoil is getting me. I was told by some to put in a Tungsten guide rod and a 16# spring. Is this really going to make a difference or should I scratch it all and just get a new 9mm?? Also shooting factory ammo, cant find any handloads. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this to theirs and is it even worth it. Thank you.

Hello all. New to the forums here. I recently bought a new XDM .40 (hubby talked me into the .40). Had Springer do the trigger, plus some new sights and well.... first few shots I take are great, the rest are downhill. The recoil is getting me. I was told by some to put in a Tungsten guide rod and a 16# spring. Is this really going to make a difference or should I scratch it all and just get a new 9mm?? Also shooting factory ammo, cant find any handloads. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this to theirs and is it even worth it. Thank you.

the 40 round can have a bit of a snappy recoil, and if the XDM is like the XD, then the weight of the slide can make it seem snappier. Before you put any more money into the gun you should make sure your technique is sound. Grip and stance can make a huge difference. You may get used to it over time. If you simply don't like the 40 then you should borrow a 9mm and see if you like it better before modifying the 40. In my experience the lighter recoil spring enhances the "snap" somewhat and heavier dampens it, anyway.

And finally, don't shoot anyone else's handloads. If you didn't do it yourself, you don't know what's in them.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Edited by Surge

the 40 round can have a bit of a snappy recoil, and if the XDM is like the XD, then the weight of the slide can make it seem snappier. Before you put any more money into the gun you should make sure your technique is sound. Grip and stance can make a huge difference. You may get used to it over time. If you simply don't like the 40 then you should borrow a 9mm and see if you like it better before modifying the 40. In my experience the lighter recoil spring enhances the "snap" somewhat and heavier dampens it, anyway.

And finally, don't shoot anyone else's handloads. If you didn't do it yourself, you don't know what's in them.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have shot the XD 9 and did fine but that one also had a tungsten guide rod in it so it was hard to compare. (I only trust one persons handloads, no one elses, good tip.) So you dont feel the weight of the guide rod will help at all? I guess I was thinking the weight would help that "snap" I have put over 200 rounds through it, just not working for me. I may just keep it for home defense at this point. Plus the price of ammo is becoming a factor. Thank you for the info.

So you dont feel the weight of the guide rod will help at all?

It might. Hard to say b/c recoil is pretty subjective. I guess if you have a really good reason to shoot .40, then it's worth a try. My only point is if you don't like it, find something that you do like: No sense torturing yourself trying to fit a square peg in a round hole if there's something you like shooting better.

I shot XDs and XDms for the last 5 years in 9mm and .40 both with and without the weighted guide rods. I found that the .40 actually has less snap than the 9mm but that is with my own reloads. The biggest improvement I made over the years in shooting was after taking a class from Manny Bragg. I purchased the grip strengthners that he sells on his web site and found that the recoil was never an issue again. It took months to increase the strength in wrist enough to really notice though.

If you re serious about shooting I would recommend buying a reloader first (cost of ammo) and then buy some grip strengthners second then go have some fun. As for the rod, it is a good investment but if money was an issue I wold start with the grippers.

Just my humble opinion.

I shot an XDm in .40 for quite a while and tried a stainless guide rod, but ended up with a 1911 conversion rod and a 14# spring. I could have had more weight in the front, but I didn't think I needed it. My wife shot it as well and felt it was pretty easy going. But, if it's just more than you want, go for the 9. With the same mods it would be exceptionally light feeling.

Sean

I shot an XDm in .40 for quite a while and tried a stainless guide rod, but ended up with a 1911 conversion rod and a 14# spring. I could have had more weight in the front, but I didn't think I needed it. My wife shot it as well and felt it was pretty easy going. But, if it's just more than you want, go for the 9. With the same mods it would be exceptionally light feeling.

Sean

I have no problem making the mods but if it was not going to help then I was not going to invest anymore than I already have. I have very small hands and the .40 right now gives me a beating. If its a signigicant difference I would go for it but it sounds like its only going to help a little based on the responses here. The 9mm I am using is an XD with the same mods and its very light feeling. I am sure hand loads would help too but alas....no primers!!!

The tungsten rod will help in managing recoil and muzzle rise, there are two rods available for the XDm. The 3/8 dia rod uses the factory recoil spring and it weighs 4.1 ounces, the other rod is 5/16" dia and it uses 1911 recoil springs it weighs 3 ounces. The 5/16 rod will make weight for Production, the 3/8 will not make weight in Production. 40's can feel much softer than 9mm's with the right powder and bullet weight combo for Production, I'm sure Atlanta Arms could load you a round if you don't want to reload that will help you with your shooting.

Rich

Try some Winchester white box 165 grain loads first. The power factor is way lower that the 190 PF loads you are most likely shooting now and they still make major. I think a lighter load will serve you better without a nose heavy feeling that will slow down your transitions.

I was told by some to put in a Tungsten guide rod and a 16# spring. Is this really going to make a difference.

Try some Winchester white box 165 grain loads first. The power factor is way lower that the 190 PF loads you are most likely shooting now and they still make major. I think a lighter load will serve you better without a nose heavy feeling that will slow down your transitions.
I was told by some to put in a Tungsten guide rod and a 16# spring. Is this really going to make a difference.

Yes tried those and did better with them, but now I cant find them anywhere so I am using Remington UMC 180's. I didnt think about the transitions with a heavier rod. Good point.

• 1 month later...

Yes tried those and did better with them, but now I cant find them anywhere so I am using Remington UMC 180's. I didnt think about the transitions with a heavier rod. Good point.

Before I started reloading I found that "Blazer Brass" with a 165 bullet shot pretty nice out of both the XD and the M in .40. I had Canyon Creek build me an XDm .40 limited gun with the stainless magwell and the 4 oz. guide rod and muzzle flip and recoil were dramatically reduced.