Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

327 Performance Center turned into Rock

MTU_327PC

I'm not sure what's going on. I'd really like to have someone look at it. If Smith looks at it great. If they decide in needs a longer firing pin but won't do it, that's fine. I'll find a good gunsmith to look it over. All I need is a functional gun for my IDPA match coming up on the 1st.

I'm president of my school's Practical Pistol Club and I feel I need to represent a couple different classes to get guys involved. I know my smith is longer than regulation allows, but we're having a come out and shoot event that's allowing some of our local revo guys to come out and shoot with some of their longer barrels. It's a lot of work getting an event set up, I would at least like to try out my new toy. I'll call around Monday and get some ideas on what to do. I know Smith will have a quick turnaround if they feel they want to look at it.

Again I greatly appreciate all the input from you guys. I learned a lot by taking the side plate off. I found that the firing pin block can be a pain when trying to put the plate back on. If nothing else it's been a learning experience.

I think Boats has the right idea; is the strain screw screwed all the way in? Has it been shortened? Has the main spring been bent or ground on to lighten the action. You should answer all of these questions before doing anything else to the gun.

20nickels-Those 140grn Hornadys were chrono'd as follows (the only rounds I was able to chrono)

Avg 1383.5

*chrono was placed 10' from barrel

These rounds weren't bad to shoot, but they're pretty stout out of my light framed gun.

Smith told me to try tightening the strain screw. I told them I've already tried, but they insisted I try it again. They also mentioned the .357 rounds I've been firing may be loosening the screw up. I'll be pretty disappointed if this will happen every time I want to shoot .357. I guess the reloads I was planning on making will have to sit on the back burner if they're going to be stouter than factory loads. Thursday will be the tell the story if it works again and for how long. Again thanks for all the input guys.

Smith told me to try tightening the strain screw. I told them I've already tried, but they insisted I try it again. They also mentioned the .357 rounds I've been firing may be loosening the screw up. I'll be pretty disappointed if this will happen every time I want to shoot .357.

That's why we Loctite strain screws.

All I need is a functional gun for my IDPA match coming up on the 1st.

You might want a back-up plan. The 327 TRR8 is not permitted in any IDPA Division - max barrel length is 4". Division capacities are 6 rd in both ESR and SSR. The 165000 PF in ESR will not be a lot of fun and loading 6 rd into an 8 rd gun without a moonclip will be quite frustrating in SSR.

Try ICORE. You can load the gun to capacity, the 5" barrel is not an issue and 120000 PF will be significantly easier on you and your 327.

Craig

Edited by Bones

I'm aware that the 5" barrel length is not permitted for IDPA. What I have put together is a fun shoot for the local community members and students. Some individuals have asked if they can use their 6" revos. After thinking I've decided to allow it. Since it's not a sanctioned event, we're free to adjust rules as necessary (we don't go extreme though). The idea is to get people out and shooting. The club that I'm president of is very small and my university doesn't like the idea that we're still around. If I can keep people coming in and showing the university we're a serious organization, then they tend to leave us alone.

If ICORE or other matches were available in my are I would gladly compete. I really would like to turn my gun into a race gun and hop it all up and such, but since there aren't any IPSC, USPSA or other type shooting in my area, I've decided to keep what ever I do rather mild for the meantime. I would really like to put a C-more red dot on it, but if I can use the gun in our little IDPA matches I'd rather spend the money on components and just shoot it. Believe me there's a great future planned for that gun.

I thank everyone for all of the help. Putting these events on are a lot of work and I give everyone credit who's put an event on, but in the end it's all worth it. These are the only times I really get to compete, so to do so I need to put one on.

And Toolguy I'll probably be looking into the sights I see you've posted here. I'll be getting into contact with you.

Edited by MTU_327PC