Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atf

Patrick Sweeney

I just finished a surprise ATF Compliance Inspection. 3 hours later, I'm shaking hands with the Agent, my dog is licking his hand and getting scratched, and we've all had a decent time.

Having gone through previous inspections, the variance between agents can be astounding. I've had the agent at one inspection tell me the previous agent was wrong, and I'm going to get written up. I've had agents give me wrong info to answers. I've had agents pore over ever 4473, looking for mis-spellings in order to cite me.

This agent not only knew the regulations cold. He could recite the relevant reg by number! "That is 178.125(e)" He didn't care that my shop was sloppy, he wanted to see the books. (The books are always near-perfect.)

We spent more time going over the flowsheet checking off the information, questions and (from my side) regulation verification, than looking at serial numbers.

If this is the "new ATF" then who's got a gripe?

For those who have not been through one, an unfriendly compliance inspection can be like an unfriendly prostate exam.

Our club president owns a gun store. He told me the last BATF agent to visit was one heck of a nice guy. In fact, he told me the visit was down right friendly and refreshing. Nice to hear something positive for a change.

OTOH, another guy I know does Class III business. A couple of wannabe bandits broke in and swiped some fully automatic weapons and the BATF didn't even want to get involved. Go figure.