Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel for 9mm 1911

Z-man

I'm looking to have a 9mm 1911 built up for steel and Single Stack Minor. I'm trying to decide between a ramped barrel vs. non-ramped. Could someone shed some light on the issue? I know that in .45 the preference is completely for the non-ramped barrel. In .40 the ramped seems to dominate. Any help would be great.

Also, any other specific parts that would be recommended for a 9mm 1911? I've read that slide stops specific to 9mm are necessary, but any other hints??

Thanks!!

I have a Dan Wesson Pointman in 9m with an extra 40 S&W top end. This is an old pre CZ gun without a ramped barrel. It will feed RN bullets of 115 to 147 gr. weight without difficulty but I expereince feeding failures with either hollow points or the Rainer 147 gr. which has a round nose with a flat point.

Hello: I would use a ramped barrel for 9mm either cut works well. Get some Metalform mags or Tripp mags, 6 should do for shooting steel. I use a Wilson slide stop for a 45, 40 etc. You may want to look at 1911's that are already built like a Kimber, Springfield or STI's. A custom build will cost more than buying one of these used. Although now it seems alot of people are shooting 9mm 1911's. I like Schuemann barrels since they are easier to fit and shoot great. Thanks, Eric