Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber sight woes

elenius

On my Kimber Stainless II (not target sight model), I installed a dawson precision adjustable rear sight, and their .180 tall fiber optic front sight. It shoots 3-4" high at 25 yards with the rear sight all the way down. I am thinking that a taller front sight is the solution. Dawson has a .245 tall "rimfire" front sight. Would that be way too tall? Is there any other brand that works in the Kimber front sight cut that is a good height?

Thanks for that!

So according to this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11181/g...ne_Sight_Height

With a 6.75" sight radius, I need a 0.02625" higher front sight, in other words a 0.20625" tall sight.

According to my further calculations, a .200" tall front will hit 0.833" high. What I really need is a .210" front and then I can adjust with the rear sight. Sigh, I've never seen one of those.

OR, I can get a .245 front sight, and adjust the rear sight (.245 - .20625 = ) 0.03875" up. Hmm, bringing out the calipers to see if that's possible...

EDIT: Yep, not a problem at all :)

Edited by elenius

If you're using a solid front sight, you can get the taller front sight and slowly and carefully file the sight to the desired hight and width. A touch of gun-kote flat black, install, and GTG. Go slow, measure after every file stroke, keep the top perpendicular to the sides.

It's a fairly cheap piece to work on so if it goes to crap, you can toss it and learn from the experience, and start over.

:surprise:

Use one of the sight blanks brownells sells , cut it down a little at a time, then if ya need a fiber optic=

cut a slit in it leaveing enough room say 70 thousands and drill the sight with a 1/16 or smaller drill

and put in the fiber.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)