Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulge from bullet setting

ms1454

I am using a 550 all with Dillion dies and I am reloading .40 with range brass 180 grm TCFM. OAL is 1.128. There is a bulge in the middle were the end of the bullet is in the case all the way around the enitre case. I have tried to some suggestions to not flare and just barley taper crimp. This helped slightly but it is still there. They shoot fine but still worried about it. Any tips? I have a U die on the way already as well.

Edited by ms1454

If they chamber and shoot fine don't worry about it. I assume this gives them a coke bottle shape...sort of narrow in the middle? Do a search on "coke bottle", "hourglass" or "bulge" and you'll find hundreds of references to this.

Generally speaking the answer to 99% of the questions you can come up with here can be found using the search function (it's better than on a lot of sites). ;)

It's a typical Dillon phenom. Like Gman said, lots of references to it on the forum. I've loaded thousands of 40S&W on my 550, all have the "coke bottle" shape. It actually is a good thing, it prevents bullet setback when chambering.

... "coke bottle", "hourglass" or "bulge" and you'll find hundreds of references to this....

"Coke bottle" ??? You guys are selling yourselves short.

That's the "Marilyn Monroe" look !!

Edited by rfwobbly