Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy effects of suppressor attachment

Glock shooter

I am kicking around the idea of installing a suppressor on my new .308. I would like to get some feed back from other on how threading the barrel effected the accuracy and suppressor install. I know I risk the chance of changing barrel harmonics by threading it. Is it worth it or just leave well enough alone?

Current rifle set up: Rem. LTR 20", X-pro trigger, Burris 3-12 XTR. Best two 100 yard groups .365" & .461" with Fed. Gold Metal Match 168gr.

Thanks for any info,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jason,

Your accuracy shouldn't be affected negatively by adding the can alone. If you're interested, there's many postings on this topic over on SnipersHide.

Your POI will likely shift but if you shoot with the can all the time, it's not an issue (re-zero and go to town).

And, you as a shooter will benefit from the recoil reduction & muzzle blast reduction. They basically act as very effective muzzle brakes.

They are popping up more and more at the LR Tactical matches.

Enjoy.

Getting a can with a solid compensator is the way to go. You don't have to worry about screwing up the threads if you plan on taking it on and off alot. I recommend Surefire- my shift is negligable and the break is great without the can...the only way to go on big bore! Additionally, the Surefire shift(very small) remains constant when you take the can off and put it back on. That is data you need if you are buying a can. Some cans impact shift changes everytime you take it off and on...guys on military long guns and the associated cans see that alot.

Also, 20" barrels usually perform better with cans since the shorter barrel's harmonics are not as effected as much as longer barrels so you should have good grouping with your LTR.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have known about the Surefire break/can combo. Had not given it a thought that the with the impact shift, its maintained by the break. My origninal plan was to go with direct thread to the barrel. But, now I will have to re-think the Surefire route.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting a can with a solid compensator is the way to go. You don't have to worry about screwing up the threads if you plan on taking it on and off alot. I recommend Surefire- my shift is negligable and the break is great without the can...the only way to go on big bore! Additionally, the Surefire shift(very small) remains constant when you take the can off and put it back on. That is data you need if you are buying a can. Some cans impact shift changes everytime you take it off and on...guys on military long guns and the associated cans see that alot.

I haven't found that to be the case with the Surefire cans. I've got a couple and use them on a number of different rifles. There is definitely a POI shift between can/no can. Not a biggie at 100yds, but more significant at longer distances. All my rifles will shoot better groups with the can but the groups are in slightly different locations. If I only had one SF can on one rifle, I'd think it might simply be that particular suppressor, but when it happens with multiple cans/rifles, I'm concluding there's an inherent POI shift.

The advice about getting a brake or compensator style attachment is good. The Surefire set up is nice but pricey. I believe Yankee Hill (and possibly others) make a similar set up. I have no experience with others. The Surefire system is very good.

David

Edited by dt1

Here are some groups I fired last weekend getting ready for deer huntin:

PDR_0697.jpg

Rifle is a DPMS AP4 16"With a YHM Suppresor(screw on)--Scope 2.5-10 Weaver Extreme(junky but it works)

Top 3 were fired then I adjusted the scope down and fired the rest.

Range was 100yds. Ammo mag fed.

Load was probably a 168 PP bullet with LC brass, WLR, and benchmark or something similar.

Sorry but I didn't shoot without the Supp.

Nick

If I only had one SF can on one rifle, I'd think it might simply be that particular suppressor, but when it happens with multiple cans/rifles, I'm concluding there's an inherent POI shift.

He wasn't saying that there wasn't a POI shift. He's saying that the shift is repeatable as you attach and remove the suppressor multiple times ;)