Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Less is More?

JThompson

I haven't been training very much these days... I've been loading less ammo in the mags of my open gun. Let's say I'm shooting a plate rack and two targets, I just put in the amount needed to complete that run with nothing left over. It's amazing how much more accurate you are if you know you have no extra rounds for make-up shots. I found the number of Cs dropping and I was shooting mostly As and hardly ever missed a plate when doing this. You just know you have none to waste so you have much better follow through and sight pictures.

A lot of us Open guys tend to be hosers and that's really not the way to go. We are so close to the edge that we shoot when the sight picture isn't there, but most of the time I can call the bad shot and make it up. What I want to do is have the patients not to break the shot when it's not there and take the extra tenth to make sure it's there. That's better than shooting a bad shot and trying to make it up, esp if it's the last shot at in a position where you are moving to another array. Then you do that big ass chicken dance trying to get back to the target... not good.

Thoughts?

JT

Edited by JThompson

All true.

I remember my first 10 round 38 super. Holy crap - I got 2 more rounds than I had with my 45. It took a couple months for me to start hitting targets again. ;)

This example can be applied to almost anything.

Take typing. If you were fortunate enough to learn on an old school typewriter - you knew how to type. But if you learned on computer keyboard - I can hit the delte key faster than most letters.

Hunting with a shotgun. No savvy old school dude would let his youngster have anything but a single barrel for his first shotgun. Autoloaders were right out.

Revolver shooters. Enough said.

be

be

That says it all right there. Sounds like Jim needs to get back to his roots and I can't think of a better way then a revolver. Let me know, you have ICORE at the club now, I even have a revo with a dot on it so it won't be to bad for you ;)

Tom

be

That says it all right there. Sounds like Jim needs to get back to his roots and I can't think of a better way then a revolver. Let me know, you have ICORE at the club now, I even have a revo with a dot on it so it won't be to bad for you ;)

Tom

I've been seriously thinking about shooting some Revo. My wrist is so beat up I'm sure it would help not to be shooting 170pf. I started off with an Open gun. If I had it to do over I would either go Revo or Production.

We had a stage that was 28 rounds tonight and my mag hold 28+1. I finished the stage with one round to spare and did not plan a reload. Several of the shots were head only of very close NS targets. I knew I could shoot it clean. It's just a practice match, so no harm no foul.

I've started doing the same thing, even when I'm setting up a practice stage, I only load lust enough rounds in each mag to shoot the exact number of rounds in each part. I love how it makes me knuckle down and really focus where my shots are going.

Nice observation JT.

I do not down load my mags in practice but I do not shoot make up shots in practice. I figure if I am shooting make up shots in practice then I will end up doing the same in a match. In my practice sessions a miss is just that a miss figure out what happened and correct it.(which is usually rushing the shot) Forget about the time and make every shot count.

Also take a look at this tip from ............."Make Every Shot Count."

BK