Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"new" revolver build---mdl 67

open17

Wife wants to play in revolver a bit. Mainly USPSA, a bit of ICORE. Has tiny hands, doesn't

like heavy guns. SO---picked up a 67-1 4" at a gunshow today. Nice tight gun, but a bit

cosmetically challenged.

Going to cut it for moons, Hearthco clips, probably Starline short colt brass.

Bob the hammer, chamfer the chambers, use federal primers.

What's the best spring setup for a light smooth trigger pull?

Keep the stock trigger, or go wide/smooth?

Any suggestions on grips for a K frame and really small hands?

Should be a fun little gun---maybe not the best choice, but it should be a nice

winter project.

Sam shot a K-frame his first year of competing in USPSA matches, when he was 11 and his hands were still pretty small. It was a square-butt Model 10 with Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips (same gun we used for the "Real M&P" stage at the Iowa 3DR event earlier in the year).

I'd recommend a narrow smooth trigger for a shooter with small hands (or pretty much anyone else).

Every gun is an individual in terms of optimizing spring tensions. I do not use or recommend spring kits, as excellent results can be obtained by modifying the factory springs. Regardless of what type of springs are used, the spring tensions really do need tuned to the individual gun.

My g/f has small hands and has a hard time hanging on to just about any normal size gun. What we ended up with for her is a skinny grooved trigger with the sharp corners rounded off ( especially at the top next to the frame ) and the top of the grooves not as sharp as factory. She

feels that the grooves help her stay on the trigger. I use the smooth combat trigger with all edges generously radiused. For the grip, she is

comfortable with a Houge grip with the finger grooves sanded off. She shoots K and L frame and is doing well. K and L both have the same

grip frame, grips are interchangeable. She won 2 trophies in her class yesterday at the Missouri State PPC match, one in iron sight, one in open class. I think the mod. 67 will work just fine. Every mainspring and every gun is an individual, so the springs do need to be set on an individual

basis for each gun as Mike said above. I tune the factory springs and don't use spring kits.

I've got a M67-2, and it's a sweet gun. Used it for IDPA for the first three years when all I shot was revolver.

I know you said your wife doesn't like a heavy gun, but making a 130 PF means 158s at about 825 fps - +P territory. Such loads won't faze the gun, but the recoil in a tapered barrel K frame will be noticeable. You might want to keep your eye out for a M14 - same grip frame with a 6" barrel, a bit more weight with 2" more barrel so you can load the ammo down a bit for less recoil. Then again, if your wife isn't bothered by the recoil, the M67 will serve her well.

As for grips, the Uncle Mike's that Carmoney described would be a great choice. Another option would be the nylon Hogues, since they'd be relatively easy to trim to your wife's hands if needed. You can trim the rubber ones too, but it'd probably be more of a hassle.

Edited by revchuck

Just shot my second IDPA match with a worked over 686. Rounded off the factory trigger a bit and it works for me. Sights suck but am looking for someone to change them out since front sight is not pinned. I have small hands also and am using a pair of 70's vintage Hogue 2 piece wood grips w/finger grooves and checkering. A 67 for the weight savings sounds like a good idea. Hope she enjoys shooting a revo!

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I know you already have the 67 in hand, but another really good option would be a 646 shooting minor .40. This was Sam's second competition revolver, he shot it for a year before switching to a full-size N-frame. The 646 is already set up to run with moonclips, and with light loads it's a sweet-shooting and very comfortable little revo.