Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technique Question

JFlowers

When you reload a revolver with a moonclip, how do you index the bullet to the chamber hole? I have noticed that on occasion I don't have the moonclip and the cylinder lined up well with each other. NOTE : I am shooting a 625 and am using the strong hand reload as opposed to the switch-over/weak hand reload.

When you reload a revolver with a moonclip, how do you index the bullet to the chamber hole? I have noticed that on occasion I don't have the moonclip and the cylinder lined up well with each other. NOTE : I am shooting a 625 and am using the strong hand reload as opposed to the switch-over/weak hand reload.

It depends on your style of reload. If it is a high or medium reload then the moonclip is "placed" into the chambers and you have to watch it all the way in.

If you tend toward a low reload style and sort of drop or "throw" the moons into the holes then a slight jiggle is tends to be used if things aren't going so well. Sometimes imparting a little twist on the moon helps, sometimes not.

The big thing is just to get consistent with whatever method you favor. And the secret is.....practice. Be consistent at what you practice.

JFlowers, If you keep your strong hand on the grip method...

Next if you are having an issue with getting the holes and rounds lined up use your thumb and fore finger to turn the speedloader counter clockwise as if adjusting a switch on a volume control.
Excerpt from a project I am working on :ph34r: ... I use the same method with moonclips also. I place a fore finger on a round in the moonclip and then line up the fore finger with the cylinder hole at about one o'clock on the cylinder.

With .45 230gr RN bullets, it's far more important to hit the center than to worry about the chamber orientation. If you throw the center of the clip toward the center of the cylinder, the round nose will kick the clip in nearly every time.

Of course, I have to pimp my alternative lifestyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTT8qZkuWjI...feature=related

H.