Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Oven not burning right

Anyone here fluent in modern gas ovens? I have a GE convection XL44 that just started acting up. The oven won't heat up and the flames are bright orange. I can get a slight whiff of gas so it is obviously not burning it all. Any thoughts? Can I clean anything? Or is it probably a more advanced issue? I hate to call a repair man and get charged a few hundred bucks to clean the tip of something or turn a screw a quarter turn.

One thing I wondered about is the humidity lately. We have not run the AC in a few weeks due to cool temps but the humidity has been "tropical" according to the weather guy. Could it be starved for air? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance

My gas oven recently wouldn't heat up, it turned out the igniter had gone bad. To get to it you open up the oven, there is a panel that covers the entire inside bottom of the oven, when you remove that you see a thing at the back that is a heating element attached to the gas supply, it is pretty easily removed. I took it to my local appliance part store and they verified that it was busted.

However, in my case the symptom was just that the oven wouldn't heat up, there were no flames at all.

My gas oven recently wouldn't heat up, it turned out the igniter had gone bad. To get to it you open up the oven, there is a panel that covers the entire inside bottom of the oven, when you remove that you see a thing at the back that is a heating element attached to the gas supply, it is pretty easily removed. I took it to my local appliance part store and they verified that it was busted.

However, in my case the symptom was just that the oven wouldn't heat up, there were no flames at all.

Would be no flames if it was the ignitor.