Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Witness Elite Match

Ryan

New to me anyway, just picked up a lightly used witness match (40) from the local fun store. I've been thinking about getting one for awhile but could not locate one. For $419- couldn't resist. I've been thinking about using it for IDPA (I believe this puts me in ESP, correct?) and then eventually retiring my para p16 from limited and outfitting the witness for that role.

Anyway, questions for the experts:

I noticed that the mags do not reliably drop free; this isn't normal, right? The previous owner appears to have taken a course file to the upper front of the mag well (just below the shelf for the trigger components) in a vein attempt to fix this. It doesn't look like any metal was removed, only enough to rough up the finish. There is a raised section/hump here approx .3-.4" wide there that may be causing excess friction with the mags (or this is there to pivot the mag backwards slightly to better position the cartridge for chambering?)

I tried to adjust the over travel screw but it is not long enough to take out more than 50% of the over-travel. Is this a standard size set screw or should I just order the 8mm long one from henning's store? Could I just thread a nut on the back side of the trigger over-travel screw to increase the length and further distribute the force of it smacking the frame (I noticed a slight gouge forming) every trigger pull?

Is there an easy way to improve the trigger pull without being an expert? simple polishing? or should i just send it out? to whom?

I find the stock rubber grips slightly too wide, can I thin the rubber grips and still be legal for IDPA if I don't touch the metal frame? Are the henning grips narrower? legal for idpa?

Bottom line- I'm excited and can't try this thing out!

-Ryan

Before you take the 7" grinder to the mags, check to make sure the mag release is going all the way into the recess in the frame. I had that issue with mags not dropping. Took the mag release out cleaned it, sprayed some CLP on it and no more problems. Your gun may also have a metal mag brake, when its flat the mags drop out, it is curved to keep it from dropping. All military pistols have it so the worriors won't lose their mags so they don't drop.

Drop Henning a note about the trigger, he is an expert and some work is bettter done by an expert.

You can reduce the trigger pull just by putting a 15lb main spring in the gun. Making it crisp and short reset may take the competion hammer and a few other mods. An extended firing pin from Henning and you can drop a 13lb main spring in and still set off most ammo.

The ground mark you see was to remove a casting excess. I filed it on one of my Match guns coz it was denting my mags as I fire it.

My other Match had a moto-tool mark on it from the factory.

You can lighten the pull by simply changing to a lighter mainspring, and lubricating it generously.

The set screw is metric, so you may have to order one from Henning.

I thinned my rubber grips using a moto-tool. I believe this is IDPA legal.

I find the stock rubber grips slightly too wide, can I thin the rubber grips and still be legal for IDPA if I don't touch the metal frame?

Sure. I'd probably go for a set of wooden grips myself, but then I'm not the world's biggest fan of rubber grips on an auto pistol as I find they stop my hand from sliding smoothly into place on the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the info. I couldn't wait for the 8mm over-travel from henning and installed the button head screw instead. I definately like the extra surface area of the button head to avoid digging into the frame. I was able to fix my mag issue last night (mags not dropping free). I was able to determine that there was friction btw the grip panels and the mags that caused the mags to stick when released. 10 minutes with a dremel later and all mags drop free perfectly without any looseness when seated also. I figure I took maybe 2 or 3 thousands off the grip panel.

I took the liberty of polishing the rails as well and now the slide is slickr'n'snot. I wanted to polish up the mag plunger and triger bars a bit but am still a bit unsure of the nuances of complete detail stripping- I'll have to watch henning's videos a few more times.

I definately want to thin the grip panels a bit (really don't want to spend the $150 on henning's aluminum grips just yet). I stipple my smith M&P grips with a soldering iron and like how they turned out so that may be the way to go with the match. Although I am tentative on the thinning part- I'm curious how far I can thin them before I go to far and destroy $50 grips. Any thoughts on the hogue grips? Are they any thinner than the factory ones? I guess either way I could just thin and stipple the hogues for practice since they are so cheap.

My first range session was a complete success. She gobbled up federal 180gn fmj and my major loads without problem (165gn prec delta FMJRN over 5.6gn bullseye). Accuracy was impressive but I can't wait to get rid of the stock black thick front post and replace it with a fiber optic.

All in all I can't believe I got so much gun for $419.