Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Background:

I currently have 5 computers on a small home network. Now, connected together with a 2Wire box that AT&T provides with thier UVerse service.

4 are hardwired, 1 comes over the 802.11 link.

I'm adding another PC..

I'm looking for a hub to expand the hardwired ports. Is there a decent hub 10/100/1000 that will allow devices of different speeds (100M or 1G), to use thier top rated speeds, or does the slowest speed always drag down the hub?

The server will have a 1G card, and so will my new PC.. the others will stay at 100 for a while..

I'd like the speed to the server to be as fast as possible..

So.. what am I looking for?

Thanks, Dave

Background:

I currently have 5 computers on a small home network. Now, connected together with a 2Wire box that AT&T provides with thier UVerse service.

4 are hardwired, 1 comes over the 802.11 link.

I'm adding another PC..

I'm looking for a hub to expand the hardwired ports. Is there a decent hub 10/100/1000 that will allow devices of different speeds (100M or 1G), to use thier top rated speeds, or does the slowest speed always drag down the hub?

The server will have a 1G card, and so will my new PC.. the others will stay at 100 for a while..

I'd like the speed to the server to be as fast as possible..

So.. what am I looking for?

Thanks, Dave

dave-if it's a 2wire, it sounds like dsl, so you have a router. just go wireless-forget a hub or switch. i've got 4 of them at my house sharing the pipe. if it's dsl you don't have the bandwidth anyway.

Dave,

Most likely you will want a switch instead of a hub. But that being said if you truly want/need the full gig through put port to port on the switch you are talking about a high class switch and some big money.

one of the tops names to look into is Cisco, but there are some other brands like Linksys (Cisco's lower end), 3 Com and Netgear.