Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold Magazine Tube Lubrication?

mhearn

How should you lubricate (or should you) the magazine tube on a Browning Gold? On a couple of occasions when I've fired a lot of rounds and then had a break and went back to fire some more, my Browning Gold magazine tube has gummed up on me and the piston has not operated as well as it should. In the past, I've used Remington oil, but it may be too light. I've been told to try synthetic motor oil. I've also been told to put nothing on it. Should you lubricate the tube? If so with what?

Mhearn,

This is a good question, and everyone I speak to has differing views. I used to shoot gas guns with simply WD40 lubricating the mag tube, then an experianced shooter insisted I should always shoot it dry. So I did for about 2 years then another voice I listen to told me to oil it up good and proper. My main concern with shooting dry guns was the excessive wear this would cause on the gun, so I switched.

I must say I have never really had any problems either way with operation but I know some 'individual' guns are tempremental around these things probably if their tolerances are tight. I now shoot all gas guns, my 11/87 and SX2 with oiled mag tubes, and I use Break Free in liberal amounts. I dont know if this is the right and best stuff, in fact I am not even sure it is a bona fide lubricant as most people I know use it to clean their guns but it seems to work just fine.

Sometimes when I have shot a load of rounds I am amazed by the build up of carbon deposits on the mag tube where the gas rings sit and it is really tough to move the parts by hand, and makes me wonder how the gun still manages to function.

Good question and I too would like a definitive answer from one of the forum experts!! :rolleyes:

Mike

For the magazine tube, whatever you use inside in your pistol mags. Magslick, silicone, pledge?

WD40 is one of the worst lubricants on the market, good for fishing baits though!

Many oils will gum up and just gather junk.

Absolutely, lube it up, but use a light oil, such as Rem oil or any synthetic, such as Kellube, etc. Wipe any excess off with your finger. It just needs enough to prevent unnecessary friction. Your gun will run better and will love you for it!

Ya know, I've never done anything but keep the mag tube dry on my 11-87. I also take the follower and coat it with powdered graphite before I drop it in after cleaning. This routine has worked well for many years.

I do however, keep the action and the gas piston area sloppy with lube. Used to use Remoil, now I use the JP red lube (I've got a a metric shjtload of it).

Regards,

OK, are we talking inside of or the outside of the mag tube? Just keep it clean on the inside-lube it on the outside. The tube on a Gold is 304 SS annealed and treated. The rings inside the gas piston need that lube to prevent premature wear.

Thanks for the feedback. The consensus seems to be that you should lube the exterior of the mag tube so the gas piston will not wear prematurely. There does seem to be some difference of opinion as to whether you should use a heavy oil like "Break Free" or something light like "Rem Oil". I've not had good luck with light oils when I'm doing a lot of shooting. They seem to burn off too quickly. I'm going to try the "Break Free" route. Thanks again.