Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Toolhead return spring and effect on powder measure

I have a Dillon super 1050 with which I've loaded 140,000 rounds plus of 45acp in the last 3 to 4 years. In the last six months the powder measure started to dump Clays very inconsistently, which it didn't prior to that time. Anywhere from 4 or 5 round per hundred would be undercharged with powder so that firing the round wouldn't fully cycle the slide and the bullet impact at 50 yards was about a foot too low. Around the same time, the operating handle stopped returning to the full upright position, but was ignored as I figured what difference does that make? A few weeks ago, the handle completely jammed when one broken end of the tool head return spring telescoped inside the other, jamming it in the spring tube. After a certain amount of flailing around the problem was spotted and the spring replaced, thankfully a spare was handy.

Now the handle stays up by itself, and the magically the powder measure problem with clays went away. Not sure why this happens, but if you powder measure becomes suddenly inconsistent, you might want to check the tool head return spring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, guys....

I dont want to be an alarmist, but I have RLs with over 100k a piece easy on them with one having over 50K easy on this spring. No problem at all with the handle not returning, especially like the photo.

I think a call to Dillon is in order, as that shouldnt be happening.....and I have friends with Supers with 10s of thousands of rounds and no problem like that seen.

I will be interested to hear what they say.....

DougC

Hey, guys....

I dont want to be an alarmist, but I have RLs with over 100k a piece easy on them with one having over 50K easy on this spring. No problem at all with the handle not returning, especially like the photo.

I think a call to Dillon is in order, as that shouldnt be happening.....and I have friends with Supers with 10s of thousands of rounds and no problem like that seen.

I will be interested to hear what they say.....

DougC

I'm with Doug. The most I've put on a single 1050 is probably 10K rounds but the spring is still very strong.

I'd check and make sure there isn't something else going on. It shouldn't do that at 2K rounds.

The toolhead spring supports the weight of the entire toolhead! After loading 7,000 - 10,000 rounds, just remove the old spring and compare the overall length to a new spring. You will be surprized!! It will on average be 1/2 inch shorter than a new one. That makes a huge differance on supporting the weight of the toolhead.

• 9 months later...

I would like to add to this as well my 1050 is less than 3 months old and it comes to rest with the toolhead about the 3.5 inches above the 9mm rounds that I am loading.

So now I have to hold the handle in it's top position so I can place a projectile on the case.

All up I guess I would have loaded say 3 to 4 thousand rounds maybe Dillon should look at the temper of their springs :unsure: .

But I am going to try my luck and see if they can replace it for free under warranty :rolleyes: