Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner

bountyhunter

I read that this stuff is supposed to be a super penetrant that "burrows" under fouling and loosens it so you don't need ammonia or any nasties to get out copper fouling.

Sounds good, anybody use it?

My real question, how does it work on those stubborn glazed on burn rings you get in the cylinder of a revolver just in front of the end of the brass?

Shooter's choice has other nasties that do the same thing as the nasty cleaners, only a bit less nasty.... :P

It works fine. Use it per directions and it will be fine. It is NOT a miracle solvent and you will still have to do some work to get the fouling out. I've had to give barrels 3, 4, and 5 treatments to cut out the fouling occasionally. I never leave it in a barrel over 15-20 mins. Leaving it in overnight, is bad JuJu if I recall.

You can pick up a "free" sample from the web site for $5, if you don't like it you still get a nice sized bottle of F-10.

A local store sells the samples for $1 - I tried it, Hoppes #9 Copper solvent worked as well or better for me..

Why waste your time on the rings? We had to do that stupid polishing in the academy when we had the Rugers. Eventually you'll increase the cylinder gap. It ain't hurting anyhting unless you just have to have a pretty gun to shoot.

The "burn rings" in question are inside the cylinder tubes, not on the face. They are a burned glaze hard carbon ring at the end of the .38 brass. The material that builds up there is about as hard as diamonds and seems to literally fuse to the steel from the flame effect. It is also the cause of some exploding cylinders when somebody puts .357 ammo in which has longer brass. The end of the brass at the crimp is shoved into that glaze buildup. When it fires, it increases case pressure and sometimes will blow out a case. Not frequent, but it happens.

As for the black on the cylinder face, I usually ignore it. If I am going to do a 100% cleanup on a gun I am not going to shoot for a while, I use a toothbrush and a little chrome polish and it comes right off.

Have you tried Butch's Bore Shine? After many years of experimentation its still my favorite gun juice.

Larry

Me too, though it does not remove the above mentioned carbon stains from stainless revos with a standard cleaning.

Has enough ammonia to work well on copper, but not enough to make soaking a barrel a no-no.

For the carbon ring on my revos I have used JB or Flitz with good results. I have heard of some using " Tornado " brushes in the cyl. too, probably fine here, but I never have trusted them in the bore.

Travis F.

The Flitz Fiberglass and Paint Restorer is the magic glazed on stain remover on a revolver. Don't let the name fool you it works great on stainless and brass it's just a less abrasive version.

I've used it to remove stains inside the front of the frame, on the cylinder, and inside the cylinder. It works great on stuff the Shooters Choice wouldn't touch. Use a toothbrush or a round piece of wood with a patch to get at the area you want to clean.

It is pretty close to magic. I would remove it like you would wax with a paper towel and then clean like normal with gun supplies. It is very low on the abrasive scale but still abrasive.

Dog