Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil difference in 16" mid and carbine gas systems

Soybomb

I'm not at the point where I feel like I'm all that great on really evaluating the difference. I might have a chance to get a decent deal on a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. What do you guys think? Carbine gas system, deal breaker or minimal difference?

You would have to compare apples to apples. There is more to the recoil of an AR than just gas system. I believe a middy and a carbine gas system was on a identically prepared upper there would be minimal difference in recoil. A prime example is if you have one barrel with a comp and the other with an A2 flashhider, you will notice a difference. On the other hand if they both had the same comp and buffer the recoil would be very similar

Matt

You would have to compare apples to apples. There is more to the recoil of an AR than just gas system. I believe a middy and a carbine gas system was on a identically prepared upper there would be minimal difference in recoil. A prime example is if you have one barrel with a comp and the other with an A2 flashhider, you will notice a difference. On the other hand if they both had the same comp and buffer the recoil would be very similar

Matt

+1

Well recoil is a subjective thing, but the carbines were set up the same.

both had:

standard carrier/bolt

standard M4 stocks with H buffer

A2 flash suppressors.

same 55gr FMJ

The Middy shot much softer.

In addition to having a softer recoil impulse, the middy has a longer sight radius, and more handguard to hang onto.

There's not enough difference to matter.

I'm with Rich. I have both. I think barrel profile has more effect than carbine vs. middy gas system.

Now carbine vs. rifle is another story . . .

A 20" upper (even Govt profile) with a good break is almost like a .22 mag . . .

I'll say this too as having both. While I like the mid-length gas system, much better than my 16" carbine, at a beginner level, I don't think there's enough to matter. If you've got a deal on a barrel and aren't shooting irons, then go for it, burn the thing up and in that time you'll have tried other rifles. Figure what you want on the next one.

Rich

• 2 months later...

after picking up and shooting my buddys 20'' rifle. havent shot one of those in 37 years, thanks to uncle sam.

loved it, way softer shooting, loved the full length handguards, and longer sights,

it all came flooding back...

im switching out ALL my AR's to either mid-length, and rifle. probly will go rifle,

and mid-lenth dissipator, best of both.

thowing the carbine barrels away.

peabody

I can tell much difference between the gas systems. Much sharper impulse the shorter it is. I feel it and see it in my follow through with the sights. The only one I can't see much difference in is intermediate(10.5") vs. rifle length(12").

And the ones I've shot were pretty spot on apples for apples comparisons.

You can put a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel. Its all about port location and size.

Honestly though.....look at getting a Noveske 16" barrel with an intermediate gas port location. Intermediate is 1.5" shorter than a rifle gas system. It works extremely well on 16" barrels

Carbine length= 7"

Midlength= 9"

Intermediate= 10.5"

Rifle= 12"