Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED M2 highs and lows.

here is my concern, I worked up a load for our sectional match next month using my M2 setup in the shade which gave me a PF of 167-168. the club that will be holding the match had a chrono set up for people to test their loads so I thought I would test mine again. the club chrono was setup in the sun. I ran the same ammo thru their chrono and it read a pf of 163. the other people on my squad were getting readings where they expected.

my question is why would my M2 consistantly read high. I tested mine again yesterday relocating it in the sun, basically the same sun position as the club chrono but I still was in the 167 range.

any ideas what the problem it?

You make the assumption that the club's chronograph (what make and age?) is right and that yours is wrong. The CED is very accurate. If you have the screens properly seated on the rail, there's really nothing to go wrong, and having them off the stops would give you low velocities and power factors. A difference of 2-1/2% is rather small,and may reflect the quality of the other chrono. The CED should be accurate to <1%. Your ammo will change velocity with temperature by much more than that.

• 1 month later...
here is my concern, I worked up a load for our sectional match next month using my M2 setup in the shade which gave me a PF of 167-168. the club that will be holding the match had a chrono set up for people to test their loads so I thought I would test mine again. the club chrono was setup in the sun. I ran the same ammo thru their chrono and it read a pf of 163. the other people on my squad were getting readings where they expected.

my question is why would my M2 consistantly read high. I tested mine again yesterday relocating it in the sun, basically the same sun position as the club chrono but I still was in the 167 range.

any ideas what the problem it?

Your CED M2 isn the most accurate, sensative, and fastest chrono on the market. At Multi-gun I had an AR double and it picked up both shots.

See if you can get the club to upgrade their chrono or at least set it up in a box.

Chronoman

You can try the following, which is what I do:

1) Increase your load to an avg PF of 170 or more.

2) Fire at least 10 shots for a string when you test.

3) Test at 12 feet. Muzzle is 12 feet from lead edge of sensor #1.

4) AAfter your string of at least 10 shots, hit the Lo button, then hit PF, and find the lowest PF for the string.

5) Adjust ammo load so that the lowest PF is higher than 165.

6) Relax in the comfort of the knowledge that you are well in the clear.